I broke another belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke another belt

Well I'm pretty much getting fed up with this car popping belts on me. I've taken it to various reputable shops in the last year to replace power steering belt that connects with the alternator. I've popped 3 belts in 12,000 miles. The car hesistates and whines constantly when I have the a/c on and try to accelerate; and to top things off I get about 20 miles to the gallon.
    I think my compressor is locking up if anyone has any suggestions about the possible problem(s)/ fixes, please post it.

I like the car and as you may have read I've been slowly adding small mods to her (rims, stereo, springs); but at this point I'm really getting of this problem. It makes me want to get rid of the freaking car

Sorry about my bitching in the post, but I just needed to vent.

Comment

Um well the power steering pump does run on the same belt as the alternator....maybe thats your problem. You shouldnt be having that problem but here are some possibilities. 1. they pulleys arent aligned right. 2. On might be knicked and slowly shaving away at your belt. Or they are being put on way way way too tight(that would make it whine) other than that i dont know
      sigpic

Comment

something else isnt right then. Not a good idea to bitch about the car when you or the shop definately overlooked another issue that you may need to address.

Comment

The MAM
          "gee... isn't it a big sign that there's something WRONG with your AC compressor?"
          ^^^
          thank you for stating the freaking obvious. If you read the post I already said that. I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on another possible problem.

"if the belt breaks, you just don't slap another one on there.... you find out WHY it broke!"
          ^^^
          No **** Sherlock what the F@ck do you think I'm doing

N2OsuprchgTurbo >> your right.

OCD-SPEED >> thanks for your suggestions

Comment

You might also be low on freeon or whatever. Check that.
            sigpic

Comment

the power steering and alt. are two different belts . If the power steering belt is the problem pick up a belt for a non a/c model and try it ,that will eliminate the a/c as a concern . Also ,I have seen the power steering brackets bent/misaligned before so thats something else to check. Did you tell the "reputable "shops of the problem with losing belts, because you should rethink their rep. if all they do is throw a belt on.
              98 protege lx 1.8l
              short ram intake custom
              crane hi-6 ign.
              14 miata alloy wheels
              .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Just thought I'd post an update on the situation for future reference;
                the problem was a loose altenator support bracket.

The car is running fine now, but I may be trading her for a stock 4dr 98civic lx plus I have to give the dude 2grand

Comment

^^^^ the deal sounds too good to be true that's why I said maybe. I'm seeing the car tomorrow. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Working...
                  X