look wut i've learned ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look wut i've learned ....

When u convert the crx drums to integra disc u will put extra 20 lbs on the crx weight. I know we dont have crx but does this mean the disc weighs more than the drums? well, my BMW mechanic friend said YES. Because it has more parts that the drums....so i might be keeping my drums for now since there isn't much of a difference on their braking performance.

I went to the junkyard today to get the LX front brakes for my 323 when i found out that the only thing u need to get is the LX rotor and the one that holds the rotor ( i dont know if thats the spindle or hub). u wont need to get the caliper but u will need to buy the LX pads for ur 323 caliper. I tried it and it fits ok.

If u want to keep the stock rotor but want to get the LX caliper forget it just use ur stock ones and put the LX pads. it'll work.

The only weird part tho was the LX has 22V and 14 engraved on the caliper and the 323/dx protege have 22V and 13. May be its the size of the piston or sumthing but i just wanted u guys to know wut i found today....

LX=22V/14
    323/DX=22V/13

the LX rotor is about an inch bigger than the 323...

From what I've heard the LX calipers are better, and it is best to also change over your master cylinder (or maybe thats just for converting to rear discs)

Do you notice any better performance with them?>

Comment

the master cylinder theory is a myth... they are the same from 323 to protege.... no change...

and on top of things if your that concerned with adding 20 pounds on your; over how well you stop.... maybe you should stick with honda's

christ sake man its 20 lbs.
      LX rotor's are 10.1 inches
      DX/SE/323 are 9 something
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

like i said on the post i was just trying to share wut i've learned today...
        ofcourse if ur gonna swap the front dx to lx u might as well replace the caliper. I just said that the 323 caliper will fit on the lx spindle.

I lost my brakes so many times on my honda and it sucks! my front brakes faded so i was using my drums and yes it faded too only if i had disc at the time...

im trying to keep my car off of those extra weights. I even want to remove the sway bars, gut out the hood, trunk etc...but it aint worth it. I know its there for a reason thats y they put that there. When racing, u put more pressure on the front brakes everyone knows that thats y front brakes fade first than the rear.

Yes, when u pop open that drum brakes there is alot of **** in there but little **** like springs and such...unlike the rear disc it already have the caliper on the outside and drum brakes on the inside. That is y its heavy (im guessing)

b4 i bought my rear disc i asked around about their performance between the drum and the disc. When u read the thread there isn't much of a difference but the looks. The disc definitely looks way better than drums...Im gonna find out if my 323 drums is lighter than my LX disc. Im the difference is not as much ie. 10lbs then maybe i'll put it on...or when i get my nitrous i would definitely put them disc on. weight wouldn't matter much when i get my nitrous.

Comment

the 13 on the 323 caliper probably stands for 13' rims
          same for the lx

sounds like one more thing to get off the lx in the yard near me.....

umm......I kinda feel ignored
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk

Comment

There's no drum inside the rear calipers. The parking brake uses the calipers itself.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

thats good then, maybe thats y honda rear brakes are heavier bcuz of the drum inside the rotors...

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                the master cylinder theory is a myth... they are the same from 323 to protege.... no change...

and on top of things if your that concerned with adding 20 pounds on your; over how well you stop.... maybe you should stick with honda's

christ sake man its 20 lbs.
                LX rotor's are 10.1 inches
                DX/SE/323 are 9 something
                The real question here is how much weight is gained/loss in rotational mass? I'd rather loss 10lbs of rotational mass compared to 40lbs inside my car.

Comment

Originally posted by ef9_sir
                  The real question here is how much weight is gained/loss in rotational mass? I'd rather loss 10lbs of rotational mass compared to 40lbs inside my car.
                  That rotational mass is on the rear wheel though. ie not driven ie no parasidic loss.

Comment

Working...
                  X