help with CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

went to autozone and had the code on why my check engine light is on. codes are P1195 and P0440. The only information i have is that the P1195 stated fuel air metering, SCP HBCC failed to initialize.

read in an earlier post about a member having his check engine light on every 3 or 4 days and goes off in the same amount of time. well mine is very much the same. still very good on gas and idles ok, though hard to say cuz i dont have an rpm. but the engine doesnt die or anything.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

What year/ model please. Could be a loose/dirty seal fuel cap for the p0440 and could p1195 is commonly the vacuum line in the intake to the egr boost sensor blocked.
    98 protege lx 1.8l
    short ram intake custom
    crane hi-6 ign.
    14 miata alloy wheels
    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

its for a 1996 mazda protege DX.

is there a part that checks the pressure of the gas tank or something to that effect.

when my friend bought the protege brand new in 1996 he lost the gas cap and never replaced it. soon after the check engine light went on. he's been driving it around ever since with the light on and never bothered to replace it.

when i bought it a year ago i made it a must to get the original cap, which i did and soon after the light went off. but like what i mentioned its been on and off ever since.

thanks a lot again
      Last edited by beetle_orange; 05-30-2004, 12:16 PM.

Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

there are two valves that are common to have problems a CDCV(canister drain cut valve) and the evap control valve. A check for the CDCV ,have someone turn the ignition on-off while you listen to the driver's rear wheel opening the vavle is on the filler tube and you should hear it click as the ign. is cycled. the control valve is behind the fuel tank and sometimes fills with fuel or water cause the vent in it to rust.
        98 protege lx 1.8l
        short ram intake custom
        crane hi-6 ign.
        14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

I really appreciate greatly your help but i wish you coud bare with some more of my questions. i will do what you told me about having someone turn the ignition on and off while listening to the rear driver side for the valve opening and closing but if i dont hear anything does it mean the valve is broken and is this something doable by myself or would i need a mechanic?

if its doable by myself which one do you think i should replace first the CDCV or the evap valve?

thanks again
          Last edited by beetle_orange; 05-30-2004, 09:07 PM.

Mods:

Comment

If you don't hear the valve you can easily replace it . Remove the plastic shield and unbolt the valve- one 10mm nut, two hoses and one wire conector.
            98 protege lx 1.8l
            short ram intake custom
            crane hi-6 ign.
            14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

i did what you told me and i heared a clicking sound. do you suggest i still change it togehter with the evap valve? where exactly is the evap valve and if i remove and replace it would gas come out? you said behind the gas tank, is it near the muffler?

maybe you have a picture of the cdcv and the evap valve or a link that would direct me to it.

thanks

Mods:

Comment

If the CDCV is clicking then it should be fine. Before you replace the evap control valve you should check for broken lines and tank in system and make sure that it is not contaminated with fuel cause if it is you could ruin a new one with the same problem. Make sure the fuel filler cap is clean and tight and see if the code returns before you spend money.
                98 protege lx 1.8l
                short ram intake custom
                crane hi-6 ign.
                14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

monday night the light went off and i still had 1/4 of gas. i figured i would put the highest octance gas and see what happens. usually when the light goes off it takes about 3 days for it to come back again, unfortunately this time yesterday it came on again and the tank was $%#* full.

like the CDCV is there a way to check the evap control valve? if not then i am willing to experiment and change it. all i need is directions.

thanks so much again.

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                  X