Clunky transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunky transmission

I have a '98 Protege LX (1.5 liter) with an automatic transmission.
    Around 80k on the car right now, had transmission flushed very recently also.

Im hearing a "clunk" and feel it in the seat when I put the car into gear, and when slowing down, and sometimes when I apply gas coming from a slow stop.
    Getting the tranny fluid flushed did seem to help a little bit, but I dont think they replaced the transmission filter.
    It was also suggested by a friend that the belt needs tightened or some such.
    I dont know too much about cars, except to do regular maintanence
    It just worries me that a car with such low miles has a clunky transmission, and it didnt do it when I bought it =(

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
    2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

I have done a flush on my automatic, and I didn't replace tranny filter. I do not think our cars have one. I know Subaru's have tranny filters on their cars, but I never heard of one for our tranny. As far as the noise you are describing, it sounds like a tranny mount has gone bad, and thats why you feel it during acceleration and braking - your tranny moves a little. I hope this and others on this forum can help you out.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Ill look into the transmission mounts... Ill see if some place can do a free estimate ... because i know transmission work will be spendy
      '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
      2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Comment

yeah i would think about youre transmission mounts being bad. replacing transmission mounts is not really transmission work. its an external bolt on item that ANY shop should be able to do with basic hand tools. and it should not take a long time, so it wont cost alot for the labour.
        find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Could be your fromt engine/tranny mount ..
          The rear is way slopier than the front engine mount.
          I filled mine with poly, but I am going to replace the front and rear mounts with the solid awr mounts soon.

So check your mounts. Have someone put the car in gear and leave the ebrake up. Then tell them to step on the brake and slowly step on the gas. You will be able to see how much the engine is moving and then you can judge if your mounts should or should not be replaced.

ohh our passenger side mount. that one that is on the frame and bolts to the block. That mount is also garbage.
          Bruce
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Our models do have tranny filters....If you take off the pan on the bottom its bolted underneath it . You cant miss it.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X