Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

essential speed cai/ (oxygen sensor question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

essential speed cai/ (oxygen sensor question)

i keep hearing people talk about the essentialspeed.com cai but i go to there website and dont see one for the 1.5l protege i see it for the 1.8l one. will the same one work for both.

ok what exactly does the oxygen sensor do and where does it go in the car?

Originally posted by psycotic
    i keep hearing people talk about the essentialspeed.com cai but i go to there website and dont see one for the 1.5l protege i see it for the 1.8l one. will the same one work for both.

They do actually have one for botht he 1.5 and the 1.8 in both auto and stick...you just got to mention it
    Here is a pic of the 1.5 auto one:
    Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by psycotic

As long as the PCM is running in the closed loop mode, it uses the oxygen sensor to keep the mixture near stoichiometric (~14.7 to 1 A/F ratio) which is the optimum A/F ratio for the catalytic converter to work most efficiently in reducing emissions. At WOT and above a certain critical RPM, the PCM goes into open loop mode where it overrides the sensors and runs from a preprogrammed fuel map where the A/F mixture is made richer than stoich for increased power, cooler running and less chance of damaging the engine.

In 3rd gen engines, the oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust manifold where it can read the O2 content of the exhaust gases. I'm fairly certain it's in the same location in 2nd gen cars.
      Last edited by goldstar; 06-01-2004, 06:02 PM.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

^^^yup, your right!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

OMG .... someone clean that engine or bring it by my place and i will clean it

I know it is only a 1.5L ... but .... please

- 95 323 Neo + GT-R ( http://323.a-spec.ca )
          - 90 Protege GT
          - 91 Protege 4WD
          - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

[QUOTE=Black_91_GT
            OMG .... someone clean that engine or bring it by my place and i will clean it

I know it is only a 1.5L ... but .... please[/QUOTE]

It seems like we might have one more TOP event - FREE ENGINE BAY CLEANING

I'm definatelly in

actually from what i was told at ES both 1.5 and 1.8 are interchangeble, just mounting brackets are different
            98 protege LX for appearance
            89 626 GT for performance

Comment

^^^They are not 100% interchangeable...the intake manifolds for both the 1.5 and 1.8 are different by about 1.5"...just enough that the intake from the 1.8 would hit the battery on the 1.5 (or, it might be the other way around...lol)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

That what the guy at the counter said at ES on sunday ....
                Still waiting for them to call me about mine, should be ready pretty soon, i hope
                98 protege LX for appearance
                89 626 GT for performance

Comment

^^^thats Ian, hes new! LOL!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                  1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

Working...
                  X