auto tranny problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto tranny problems

For the last couple of weeks every morning when i leave for work i have been having a major problem shifting my protege out of park. when i press the brake i can hear it disengage and when i press in the button on the shifter i have to jiggle it until it decides it wants to shift out of park. it hasn't happened in the afternoon yet. also it is not parked on an incline and i always use my e-brake so not to put the tranny in a bind. anyone have a similar problem or a solution for me. i guess i need to take it in b/c it is still under warranty but i live so far from a dealer ship.

--i wouldn't have bought an auto but it was a demo car that the dealership lent out to a UAB basketball coach and it only had 84mi on it for about 2g's less than the sticker.

dude, if it's under warranty, take it in there have been so many problems with the auto's in our generation, hopefully they'll replace it. but it sounds more like a problem with the cable from the shifter to the ignition switch. that controls if you can shift out of park. may just be loose

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      dude, if it's under warranty, take it in there have been so many problems with the auto's in our generation, hopefully they'll replace it. but it sounds more like a problem with the cable from the shifter to the ignition switch. that controls if you can shift out of park. may just be loose
      definately take it in if it's under warranty still. don't let the problem get out of hand, let em fix it so you're not out of a car for a while, for a bigger problem.
      -mike lucero
      1988 Mazda 323 GTX
      2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

took it in today

so anyways i droped it off at the dealership today, and when i described what was going on with the service manager he told me that it was probaly b/c of me spilling a drink on the console ( which might have happened) and if that was the case it would not be covered under warranty and would cost me $130. I took the console apart about a month ago and cleaned up from a drink accident that happeded a long time ago, so i hope there are no traces of it. I really don't think that that is the problem b/c if i did spill something it was a very long time ago. anyways they put me in a rental until monday so i'm not out a ride.

Comment

Well, thats good they gave you rental. The dealership fudged my car up when I first got it and because Im under 21 they couldnt give me a rental. Talk about BS. I hope they dont find any traces of your drink spill, they always find something to blame on the owner. Its their job.
          Yes, I am a female. So please don't call me man.

Comment

BOGUS!
            Why in the Hell would the cupholders be so close to the Auto Tranny Selector if it's so damned susceptible to "Drink Spills"? Is this to suggest that water from the undercarriage during rain is a problem, too?
            A spilled drink should have no bearing whatsoever on the integrity of the transmission. And, for all you know, the former driver of your car could have spilled a 12-pack down there...
            If they attempt to charge you, get a lawyer - there's no way the design of the car (i.e. cupholder placement) should become your responsibility. And a vehicle should be able to endure minor "wear and tear" without failure. I am sure that in a 12 -person jury of your peers, quite a few have experienced a drink spill or two in their cars!!!!
            Call MazdaUSA - rattle their cage!

Comment

they are full of ****, and trying to get out of warranty work trust me, i've taken it apart enough times to know that a drink won't effect it like how you describe. stickiness from a drink would make it less smooth shifting from park to whatever grear, but it wouldn't change if you jiggle it. it really sounds like the cable from the ignition switch to the shifter. that is what prevents you from being able to shift out of park without the key on, and also keeps you from being able to remove the key unless it's in park the cable probably just has some slack in it, and needs to be adjusted if they try to charge you for anything, tell them to **** off, cause anything spilled wouldn't cause the problems you are having. and if they replace anything, demand to see the part. it it's a cable, then a drink definitely couldn't screw it up

Comment

Update

Originally posted by fossil boy
                BOGUS!
                Why in the Hell would the cupholders be so close to the Auto Tranny Selector if it's so damned susceptible to "Drink Spills"? Is this to suggest that water from the undercarriage during rain is a problem, too?
                A spilled drink should have no bearing whatsoever on the integrity of the transmission. And, for all you know, the former driver of your car could have spilled a 12-pack down there...
                If they attempt to charge you, get a lawyer - there's no way the design of the car (i.e. cupholder placement) should become your responsibility. And a vehicle should be able to endure minor "wear and tear" without failure. I am sure that in a 12 -person jury of your peers, quite a few have experienced a drink spill or two in their cars!!!!
                Call MazdaUSA - rattle their cage!
                Well i got the call from the service manager while i was at work today and guess what........Coke!! thats ok thouth because everything that fossil boy said in his post was brought up in the call. That guy didn't know he was going to get an earfull this morning but boy did he. he didn't want to budge on not paying for it so before i got irate i called the dealership that i bought it from ( they moved to the other side of birmngham so i took it to get fixed at the nearest) and argued with about 5 different people (three of them managers) until i ended up talking with the v.p. of the dealership. he told me that i should bring it to them to look at but they could not guarantee anything. I told him that they were wasting my time and since i planed on my next 5 cars being mazdas, and reminded them that the day i bought mine we also bought a mazda truck off the used lot, they were screwing with a loyal customer that surely wouldn't be back.
                long story short the dealership i bought the car from paid the other dealership to fix my Pro.

Comment

that's cool that the dealership you got it from covered it for you but i still think it's bogus that they say coke caused it all it can do is gum up the cable, which all it would take is being cleaned to fix any problem it caused definitely not worth $130

Comment

funnything is that the dealership that fixed it only charged $100 when they found out the place i bought it from was going to pay

Comment

Working...
                    X