sunroof lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sunroof lube?

OK... so I have noticed that my sunroof gasket seems to make more noise than when it was new (i.e. it squeaks now when you open and close the glass). In looking at the surface where it mates against the metal it is pretty much dry so I am going to clean that off and would like to know what others recommend to lubricate the gasket with?

I guess that the same question applies to what you use on the door gaskets as well?

thanks.
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

I'm probably wrong here and this is just a guess but I don't know of any lubricant specifically meant for your task. Would it be possible to use dielectric tune-up grease? As I'm sure you know, it's meant to be used to coat the inside of spark plug boots and the ceramic surface of the plug in order to prevent sticking on removal. It can obviously withstand very high temperatures, and since it's also used to coat electrical contacts to prevent corrosion, it also apparently can lubricate sliding surfaces and still remain in place.

I don't know if this makes any sense but I've been using the Permatex brand (for my plugs) that I get at Pep Boys.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Goldstar, thanks for the reply... that is what one of the guys at work also recommended for the job. He said he's been using it that way for years on the door gaskets of his car and they stay nice and soft... I think I'll give that a go.
      --JJB--

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass

Comment

Dang and i thought WD-40 was the shiz....Muhahahahahah......I'm nutty....
        "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Originally posted by mazdachic
          Dang and i thought WD-40 was the shiz....Muhahahahahah......I'm nutty....
          ahhhh!!!... noooo... not even in jest ... pertroleum product on a rubber gasket = bad!!!!
          --JJB--

Comment

I had the same problem with my sunroof (IE squeaking when opening/closing, and when going over bumps). My dad gave me something which we used on a fifth wheel slideout gasket (basically same material). I cant find the bottle, but its called so and so slide out lubricant. wiped some on the entire sunroof gasket surround and fixed the problem. Its been quiet now for about a month with no problems

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
            www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

i use silicone spray on mine every 6 months or so.......it really helps.
              2003 Laser Blue P5
              Racing Beat cat-back, K&N air filter

Comment

Originally posted by bigwoo23
                There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Lol! Oh my God, I think no one, other than a Michigander, would fully appreciate our predicament! Blow 'em all to hell!!!

Comment

Finally! someone who agrees with me. Seriously, last night was the Downriver Dream Cruise and in addition to all these awesome old cars I saw a good 25-30 hondas and fords with primer and bondo paint jobs - not cool at all

Comment

there is a lube that is specifically designed for the rubber on automobiles, the one Honda recommended and works really well is called "Rubber Gloss & Lubricant 50ml ea 614.112 (Enhances appearance & assists sealing properties)"...

I bought a tube of it when my '99 Honda Si roof squeaked while I was driving it? They told me I washed my car too much? They told me what they used and it cost like $35 for a tube of the stuff but it works really well. Later, after I get home, I wil post all the info printed on the tube and box it came in. They told me to use a dime size amount on the tip of my index finger and spread it out thinly. Don't need to use much at all. Works great!
                    Last edited by DeanSweetP5; 07-26-2004, 08:00 AM.
                    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                    -Dean
                    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                    Injen CAI - Polished
                    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                    DaveB trim rings
                    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

ill stick to the cheaper stuff for like 5 bucks at the local hardware/automotive store (I can't remember where I bought it)

Comment

Working...
                      X