HELP Another Check Engine Light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Another Check Engine Light problem

My check engine light came on about four weeks ago from today (June 1 2004).
    I immediately took it to the shop and they replaced the cheaper of the two oxygen sensors (Bank #1 Part code BOS13362 ... whatever that means) for my car, replaced resistor spark plug, rotor, distributor cap, & wires, and did an intake valve cleaning.

A week later the light comes back on. I take it back to the shop and the guy trys to tell me I need the same oxygen sensor that I replaced the week before. I told them I'm not paying for that and they should re-check the car. They claimed there was a wire loose and then they reset the computer and told me to come back if they problem happened again.

A week after this GUESS WHAT the light comes on again so I take it back.

The code that came up was P0421 - Warm up Cat Efficiency

They notice the ****ty job someone did on my muffler about 5 weeks from today. Refer to this thread for info on the terrible muffler job. Well anyway they said to repair the leaks in the exhaust system to create pressure for sensors to read. I took my car to a new shop and got a custom cat back exhaust put on. The computer is reset once again.

And now I'm back again with the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AGAIN!!!!!

Could my second oxygen sensor need to be replaced?

Is it the throttle position sensor (TPS)? Here's a thread from another forum that made me think this. Maybe the two situations are similar.

The only things I notice with my car that are diffferent than when it ran smoothly are the following:

1. When idle I can hear a low noise coming from under the car. I think it's the fuel pump because some guy at my college screwed me over by putting a used fuel pump in.

2. I have an auto but when driving it feels like my car isn't shifting as smoothly as it used to. I'm going to replace the transmission fluid this weekend.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I don't know what's wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long cry for help .
    Last edited by loganss; 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

there is no exhust sensor which reads backpressure. i think those guys are just ****in ya around.
    find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8
      there is no exhust sensor which reads backpressure. i think those guys are just ****in ya around.
      I went back to the shop and told the guy there is no sensor to measure backpressure and he said the oxygen sensor downstream needs a decent amount of backpressure to operate properly.

I'm getting the downstream oxygen sensor replaced, at their cost. I'll let u guys know what happens.
      ED

Comment

oxygen sensors do not require backpressure at all. having lots of backpressure, or none will not effect them in any way.

see if you can get youre money back, and go somwhere else. i still think this shop is ****ing you around. if one of youre oxygen sensors was bad, you would get a error code telling you this.

Comment

Is there any way for me to clean the oxygen sensor?

I bought a Haynes manual but all it says is to check to see if the voltage is okay.

Yeah the shop's not getting an more of my money for this problem. They're replacing the oxygen sensor for free this week.
          ED

Comment

there should be no reason to clean the oxygen sensor, it is not bad. if it was bad you would get an error code saying it is bad.

but instead youre getting an error code about warm up inefficency concerning the cat. just a guess but you might have a cat which is going bad.

Comment

Working...
            X