how about a 99-00 miata head swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about a 99-00 miata head swap.

the 99-00 miata head is better than the second gen 1.8 head in terms of power capability and it has stronger cams to boot.
    the 99-00 intake manifold off the miata must be used as the protege intake manifold isnt compabitle, but the protege header and exhaust is.

i know the miata throttle body is on the wrong side of the engine, but i think a custom air intake would work to solve that problem.

the head does bolt right up to a bp 1.8 block as well. the fuel rail should interchange, as well as the various sensors on the head and intake.

you guys think its possible?
    find it, **** it, forget it

Don't think there is enough room at the front end of the engine to put the miata intake manifold and the air intake.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I don't think the fuel rail will work . I believe it is a returnless fuel system with the regulator built-in in the fuel tank .
      98 protege lx 1.8l
      short ram intake custom
      crane hi-6 ign.
      14 miata alloy wheels
      .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

our protege/kia fuel rail can be bolted onto the 99-00 head in place of the 99-00 fuel rail as i stated in my first post.

basically, im wondering if the head intake and throttle body would fit into the engine bay or not. just by "comparing" my kia with a friends 99 miata, it "looks" like it would fit.

Comment

The fuel rail isn't "bolted" to the head but to the intake manifold itself.
          There wouldn't be enough room for the 99 MX5 intake manny and the air intake itself.
          Attached Files
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i believe that i would have enough room on my kia to route the intake tube OVER the top of the cam cover. and if there isnt enough room, a tastefull hood scoop would be well warranted.

i am going to start looking for a 99-00 head, intake and throttle body from the junkyard. hell if the swap fails, i can awalys ebay the parts.
            Last edited by bp 1.8; 06-03-2004, 02:37 PM.

Comment

if the swap fails, sell me the cams.

Comment

I know that one guy from Toprotege got lot's of parts from miata in his engine...
                98 protege LX for appearance
                89 626 GT for performance

Comment

You'll never find out for sure if you don't try... I guess
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                  X