Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick ? on a start up...

hey guys...

i have a 97 pro and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following: when my car is off for more than an hour and i turn it on (let say its off since the night and i turn it on in the morning) that first initial start seems to have a bit of a clicking or clacking sound to it (sounds funny i know) then it goes to normal....my car idles around 750-800 rpms! but when say its off for a short period of time..and i start it up..it sounds great!..i may just be paranoid but i thought i would ask my fellow club protege members just in case its something that i should be looking into...anyones help would do..thanks guys!

check your valve lash

Comment

valve lash ????????????????????? whats that

Comment

valves!!

How many miles on that belt?

IS the belt tensioner tight enough, one vote that it is the valves.

Comment

the clearance between the camshaft lobe, and the top of your lifter

the cam rotates and pushes on the lifter, the lifter then pushes open the valve
          over time the top of the lifter (shim) becomes worn and a gap develops
          thats called your valve lash, and it has very specific clearances that it must remain between
          if its too tight, your valve will always be partiall open
          if its too loose (which is what happens over time) the valve doesent fully open, and the cam lobe creates a slapping effect on the lifter

also, i believe that when clearances are below spec, oil pressure decreases and that could also be part of the problem
          im not 100% sure about that little fact tho

either way, definately get your valve lash checked, and adjusted if its out of spec

Comment

Working...
          X