parking brake on or off... long term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parking brake on or off... long term

I would post this to the other forum I read but the folks there are not nearly as good at getting back to people... so here is the question:

I have a second car now (winter beater) and just got the rear brakes done and that included the parking brake pads. Now, I only plan to drive the truck once every other week or so and am wondering if people thing I should leave the parking brake on or off. It is an automatic so it would be in "park" all that time but I wonder what is better for the brake. My gut tells me to put it on, that way at least the cable gets moved each time I drive it unlike it just sitting there all the time.
    leave it "on"
    70.00%
    leave it "off"
    30.00%
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

I've always used the parking brake. I don't know why, but it's been a habit since I first started driving a car. Some friends of mine were making fun of me the other day because I was using it. I guess the joke's on them.

Comment

common sense says always let the BRAKES do the job that they are designed to do, e.g. make the car STOP and not going anywhere

hence use the parking brake when parking.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

I just get satisfaction from pulling the brake.......it's like the period at the end of a sentence for me.....without it the drive seems incomplete.
        02' Protege ES sedan w/ 03 refresh package, loaded with everything minus sunroof, 5 speed manual, red neons under seats to match red lighting on guage cluster/center consol *you can't hug children with nuclear arms*

Comment

The only thing that I would say not to use the damm thing is if your car is old and not really good. My neighbor has an 92 sentra and she left it in the driveway for 3 weeks with the parking brake on. When she came back that thing was seized it would not move. I had to hit that thing with a hammer for like 10 minutes to loosen it. But I guess maybe thats only cause her car was a piece of crap anyways.
          2000 DX 1.6L
          17" Enkei RS7 Gunmetal
          Kumho ECSTA'S 205-40-17
          TEIN S-Tech Springs
          Ebay CAI customed to short intake with RACTIVE heatshielded cone filter (blue)
          M3 blinker mirrors
          NGK Iridium IX
          Next Gen Rear lights
          Diamond Clear Corners

Comment

Working...
          X