Injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injectors?

I have 98 Protege Lx with the 1.5 Liter in it and it just started to miss. As far as I know its the injectors, Im going to test the fuel pressure and I just replaced the fuel fiter, I also did all the possible maintance work possible,-timing belt, water pump, engine mounts, drive belts, half shafts, battery. I just recently put some injector cleaner in the gas, the first one was just Techron and it did'nt do anything the car still ran a little rough, so on the next tank I tried Marvel Mystery oil (somehow I now think that was a bad idea) because now it has a hard miss in the 3rd cylinder and throws a code after every start. The car has almost 150k and its only a 98 and had a very hard life (its been driven by the wife since we got it which is 70,000 miles ago) So far I checked for spark in every cylinder and put new plugs in it - it did nothing it still missfires hard @ idle. I just wana know is there any aftermarket injectors that would fit. The stock is 150 at Auto Zone and 225 at Mazda. I found some Eccell and they look like they would fit. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to know. Thanx ! ! !

i have a set of 4 205cc injectors i will sell ya for $40 for the set. guarinteed to work.
    i also have some 220cc's if you want to upgrade. same price and guarintee.
    let me know if youre interested.
    find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Injector check

Dude, just check the resistance of the injectors. Buy a CHILTON or HAYNES book.

Also, remove one cable from the distributor, one per each run.

>>>Obviously, remove the cable before starting the car, when having finished testing that cable. Turn the engine off, connect the cable and proceed to the next, so on and so on.

If the car runs rough when you remove the cable, then the injector is good. IF the cable is removed AND the car runs the same, thats the one that is bad. Be very careful not to get charged by the sprak plug cables. *** Just double checkin, remove the cable from the plug and the disty, ONE at a time.

I have a 1990 with DOHC engine, the injector resistance is from 12 to 16. Mine all read 14, so its good.

Last edited by WTF; 06-05-2004, 11:36 PM. Reason: Add few more steps.

Comment

Thanx for the info. I tried disconnecting all the plugs one at a time they all make it run like even worse crap. I also tried that with the injectors, I think one of them is leaking down or not shutting all the way.

Comment

injectors part II

The resistance check will tell which one it is. But if the car runs like **** when removing one at a time, then they are workin good. Please see other options, like check vacuum, see if the timing belt jumped a teeth. About the mystery oil, Keep it running until the fuel tank has fresh gas. Try to disconnect the battery and clean all error codes, sometimes they stay for a while even after the trouble is gone. Double check the timin... sometimes simple things are not detected. In my car one time, the TPS was loose and I was goin crazy tryin to detect the bad idling, until one day I noticed the damn TPS loose and it would move whenever it wanted.

Good luck

If for some reason its an injector, there are places that clean the injectors for around $100.00. I did it ones when my head gasket blew out and all the injectors got contaminated. Usually truck shops or machine shops know where to take the injectors for calibration. When calibrated, new filters are installed and each injector is tested that all work at the same elvel.

It may sound complicated, but if you have access to a compressor, make a connection with a rubber hose to the air gun, some WD-40 or brake cleaner and apply pressure to that sucker, connecting a battery or giving a 12V charge will open the injector or close depending the case. Its kind of an underground cheap solution, but it works.
          Last edited by WTF; 06-05-2004, 11:54 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
          X