Changing the color of the gauge lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the color of the gauge lights

I have tried this before, but I stopped the project because there were too many things in my way. I want to change the color of the gauges from green to either a red/orange or a blue. I have taken the cluster apart and removed the 4 green light bulbs and moved a couple around to put some of the whites in their place. The only problem is that green still shines through. Does anyone know where I can buy different colored lights that fit in behind the gauges, and what I can do to remove whatever the green is that is shining through?

If it's anything like the 3rd gen there's a lot of information already

Comment

Wow, thanks for the link. After a lot of reading, I think I'm ordering two #74's and two #194. These should fit in a 2nd gen cluster, right?

Comment

They had no blues (they get in tomorrow, but I'm not a very patient person) so I bought reds. They worked perfectly, even the odometer turned red. The only problem is that I can't find any colored #74's (the small ones for the tach and temp gauges). So right now, the entire speedo is red, and the outsides fad to white and some green. I'll have to find some colored small ones somewhere.

Comment

Whatever color bulbs you put back there it will still shine through greenish because there is a green tint built into the guages themselves! It sucks!
          sigpic

Comment

If there is any green, I can't see it at all. It's looking very red. Anyone know where I can get some non-LCD #74's?

Comment

I got some at Radio Shack but you don't want to use them, they're not bright enough to shine through the green, at least they weren't on mine. From the sound of it yours might be different. And as far as I know the 98 cluster is the same as the 99+, so yes, everything will fit the same.

Comment

98LX, post pics!
                In the meantime you can see what my gauge cluster looks like:

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                  In the meantime you can see what my gauge cluster looks like
                  That's not fair, in that light it doesn't look like a different face. You need day/night pics of those, not halfway between.

This is what you get if you use those:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Too bad those are available only with silver faces.
                    It was awkward at first, but I got used to them pretty quick. And at night you can't tell if the faces are white ot silver or black or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                      Too bad those are available only with silver faces.
                      It was awkward at first, but I got used to them pretty quick. And at night you can't tell if the faces are white ot silver or black or whatever.
                      Yeah, at night they're perfect, but during the day I really didn't like them that much. Then I got the brushed gauge rings and it looked much better with those around the black faces, so I took the PCP ones off again.

Comment

Just my luck, right when I start altering my car, a nice little Check Engine Light shows up, so it's in the shop right now. I'll post pics as soon as I can. I am going back to buy the blues ones today and hope to get the smaller lights sometime soon. For right now, the center is nice and red and it fades to white/green as it reaches the edges.

Comment

Well, turns out there were two parts to the CEL: non-working fuel guage and non-working speedometer; only one thing: they work fine. Mazda reset the computer and we started the car, wouldn't you know it, another CEL! They did not have time to look into it today, so it's going back tomorrow. Unfortunately for the project, my parents (it's not technically my car) freaked out and I had to put the green ones back in place. I hope that once this is all resolved, I will be allowed to put the reds back in, but as it looks right now, it might be green forever!

The odd thing is that I have taken off the cluster before and put it back on, and there have been no CEL's, but the one time I actually get something to go my way, this CEL has to show up and rain on my parade... it really isn't fair...

Comment

Working...
                          X