No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone!
    Two weeks ago a sweet little '02 ES followed me home. After looking at Honda, Toyota, etc there was really no decision. I've always liked and respected Mazda anyway, and driving this car confirmed why. The gearing is a bit low for my taste, but the car just feels awesome. I don't so much get in it as put it on! Anyway, this morning a CD became stuck in the player so I need to pull the unit and get it out. It's not obvious how the unit comes out so can anyway offer any tips? Is a key of some sort required? And how bout the trim around the unit? How does that come off? I'll probably be spending a lot of time here! :-D Thanks in advance.

Allen
    '01 ES 5spd. w/everything.
    '81 BMW 320i.
    "Hell no I don't drive it, I put it on and jump around."

Late as in "the Late Dent, Arthur Dent".

Welcome to the forum.
    As for your problem, I know that on mine, there were two small panels on each side of the radio, you would pry them off and you saw two small holes at the top and bottom on each side. Take 2 pieces of wire like from a coathanger, bend them into a "U" shape and insert them carefully into these holes.The radio kinda popped out and I was able to pull it out by hand.
    Yours *may* be different, but I've seen that same set up on several different makes and model of vehicle.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Yes welcome to the forum.
      Sagaris

Comment

you dont need to pull the unit to get the cd out.

If its stuck the thing you should do is pull off the neg battery terminal this will reset the radio so it should just spit it out.
        You should check the protege faq if you have any other questions, prety much everything is in there.

Comment

Welcome Check out the Protege Faq for all your needs.....
          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Welcome, and congrats on the car!
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

welcome congrats on the car, like mazdachic said read the faq ... and as far as i know what zerocover said should work

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I've learned with other cars that forums are a must! My bad for not checking the faqs or search, I really do know better. Anyway, I found everything I needed to know with a little searching and all is well now. I had already tried the power-down method of CD removal with no luck btw, but the unit is well-built and easy to poke around in so it was no sweat to get the disc out once I had the unit in hand. Hmm, spose I should do a profile....
                '81 BMW 320i.

Comment

Hey, kinda curious, What was the problem? how'd you get it un-stuck?

Comment

It took a little exploratory surgery, but I removed the CD module and then removed it's top plate. I VERY carefully lifted the little part that clamps the disc down and removed the disc. Apparently that insanely complex series of mechanical events that happens when a CD is inserted somehow went awry. The disc clamp was down and locked, but this other little thingy hadn't moved into place. A little prodding on that piece popped it into place thereby completing the above mentioned insanely complicated series of events and returning the unit to normal operation. I assume that the one piece was telling the unit, "Hey! There's a disc in here!", but the other piece was like, "nuh uh!", so the unit became terribly confused, folded it's arms and decided the best thing to do was nothing. (breeeeathe....) Got all that? :-D
                    '81 BMW 320i.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
                      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

damn the guide is an awesome book.... *L* thought he name should be dentarthurdent

Yea gotya on the disc thing. I've dealt with that in other units before. glad it workedout. is it functioning normally now? or is it gonna be a recurring prob?

Comment

Well so far so good Poseur, we'll see.

Who knew I'd stumble into a group of such cool froods? You guys really know where your towels are.
                          '81 BMW 320i.

Comment

DON'T PANIC
                            Its under my head.

See you at Millyways.

Comment

Working...
                            X