HELP!!! Front Bumper Repainting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! Front Bumper Repainting

Cot Dammit my BUMPER is Chipped to all hell!

Hey guys... I dont know if any of you have this problem at all... but for some reason my front bumper looks like someone took a sandblaster to it. It's is really bad. I have decided that it would be a good idea to get it primered this weekend.

I needed all of your help/insight on what I shoud do. Here is my plan:

This weekend, I plan to take my bumper off... and sand the CRAP out of it. My friend is letting me borrow a small powered sander. I was going to ask what kind of sandpaper I should invest in for the beginning process... I imagine that this will take all day. I figured I would start with maybe 300 grade? and work my way up to 1000?...

After the sanding, I planned on Priming it with just a regular can of primer from Auto Zone. Is there anything else that should be considered when doing this? I really want to do a good job of this so any help is needed.

I figured after I sanded and primed... I could just get a MaaCo job to paint the actual bumper. Seems to be the most efficient way to go when I look at it seeing as I dont have any painting skills. And, nobody in Cincinnati I know can help... Anything that you have to offer will be considered. I want to give some thanks in advance... You all have helped so much in the past...

Peace, from your friend.
    Ameen aka BumperPhucked.
    Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 06-08-2004, 04:08 PM.
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Materials Needed

1-2 Sheets of 220 Grit 3M WetDry paper
    1-2 Sheets of 400 Grit 3M WetDry paper
    *Sanding Block
    Primer
    Paint
    Cheap black spray paint
    Sponge & Bucket for wet sanding

*If you dont have access to a sanding block use something that is flat. When you go to buy your supplies ask for a mixing stick. You can use the stick, as long as it isn't warped.

Step 1.
    Wet-sand the bumper with 220 grit paper and "feather" out all of the chips on the bumper.

Step 2.
    Wet-sand the bumper with 400 grit paper and finish sanding the rest of the bumper as well as smoothing out the 220 grit scratches.

Step 3.
    Prime the bumper. Make sure if there are any deep scratches that you run your finger over them with the primer to try and cover them. Of course anything too deep will have to be filled with putty, then primed.

If you wanna go the whole nine yards and paint the bumper also....

Step 4.
    Use your cheap black spray paint and mist a "Guide Coat" over the primer. A thick coat of paint here is not necessary.You just want specs of black covering the bumper. Let the Black dry.

Step 5.
    Use your Sanding Block w/ 400 grit paper (wetsanding again) and sand down the primer until you see no more blemishes and all of the black specs left from the guide coat are gone.

Step 6.
    Paint the bumper.

I will have to paint a bumper Monday. If you can wait I will make a how-to w/ pics.

Comment

Tweaks... Your my savior... Thanks a lot.... seriously. I'm gonna go to the store and get the supplies tonight... I'll have to find a place to mix me some factory paint... I think my paint code is Z-1. Thats going to be the expensive part...

ill ride around with primer for a while though... so I can definetely wait until you are able to do that.

Comment

eh, how do you use the sponge as an aid to wetsanding? Can we install a quick wetsanding guide?
        Tag Team

Comment

the sponge is for wiping off the dirt/paint/clear that the sandpaper and water leave behind as you wetsand. Infact, a second bucket with clean water and the sponge would be good.

If the bumper is pitted and chipped bad (even though it's a urethane) you may need some (flexible) bondo/putty to smooth it out. If you have any dings or creases in it, a heat gun (or strong hairdryer) will work. Heat up the area and mold it back into shape.

Comment

NAPA will mix you up some one-stage or BC/CC in a spray can.....

Comment

Oh hellz yeah... I just hope it dont rain this weekend... freekin OHIO weather is Garbage. Yeah, I'm Painting it myself... Z1 Tropical Forest Green Baby.... it can't get any worse than it is right now guys... its chipping bad.

Cans: I'm thinking maybe 3 cans will be enough? I have to go to the bank today and see if I can head up there and to Auto Zone today... I'll give them a call now. Again thanks fellas. 2 buckets... I'll remember that...

and while the bumper is off... Since this is a 2 week project... I can partition if i want to install new slim fogs or not. Well see...

Comment

its always nice to have a wetsanding block with this...Small foam piece. This keeps grooves from your fingers out of the primer...this is a good writeup tweaks.
                According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Apparently the paint w/ reducer and hardener, etc. will cost me at least... $100 dollars... at the least!!!... that is freeking insane!

I will still prime and sand myself, but I need to find another way to paint this bumper.

Shoot... for $100 I might as well get it painted proffesionally... Sigh.

Comment

yeah I forgot that they make the foam blocks with the sand"paper" allready on it....those would be a good idea..thw writ-ep might be extended a little bit, my dad took the digi and wont be back until about tuesday-ish. I promise I will get one up though, maybe with a little bit of body work involved....using no air tools and such so that just about any one can do it.

Tokes, just remember not to spray the color too heavily, you don't want runs or metalic splotches. Keep the can about 1 1/2 feet away and kinda mist the color on. If it doesn't get a full even coat thats allright, 3-4 coats later and it'll look mint.

DONT GET TOO SPRAY CAN HAPPY!!!

Comment

Sweet ass.... Yeah, It rained last weekend, and This and next weekend I will be out of town... so this is good... I'll wait till I see the write up... let me know with a PM my friend. I will let everyone know what the deal is and will up date... Peace Tweeaks

Comment

allright cool, I think i am going to do it on my accord rear bumper, it has a little fiber-glass re-pair, bondo work, primer, and then re-paint it.....that way i can cover the basics of more than just spraying somehting.

Comment

Ok my friend... Please let me know when its up... either PM me, or post here.. I'll be checking Tweeaks.

Peace,
                          MeeN

Comment

Dont worry I havent forgotten I have just been really busy at the shop. I should have a little free time in a little bit though. If not I wuill just go ahead and do it next weekend, as this is the july 4th weekend and my b-day is on monday.

Comment

Well I got off of my lazy ass tody and got started. Although I am only done with the fiberglass part, check it out. Let me know if I am being thorough enough or not.

Theres the link (for some reason evertime I posted it as an active link the page would refresh and everything that I typed would be lost)

Hopefully I'll begin the bondo work and primeing tomorrow.

Well just letting you know again that I didn't forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X