mendral bend intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mendral bend intakes

ok as a few of you know i have been fighting to get a group buy for intakes. it has had many set backs. for one i designed my intakes for the SOHC which has a VERY different piping than the DOHC. Here is my spiel on the differences between the DOHC and SOHC intakes (save the intake mani and TB)

the photo's below. SOHC is on the left of both photos

as you can see there is an axial torsion in the SOHC pipe. compared to the "flat" design of the DOHC, now the "twist" in the sohc pipe is nullified by the angle of the resbox

again SOHC is on the left

this bend in the SOHC res box is "restrcitor". in an intake you want as few curves as possible. As you can see by my intake

i have choosen to remove my res box. i have not noticed a loss in torque, which is ever so apparent in the DOHC's. with a straighter smoother pipe i have noticed: a better sounding throttle noise. and and improvement in top end. i have not noticed a drop in my pick up or off the line. if anything i chirp the tires more without my res box. i am currently concidering introducing a DOHC resbox to my SOHC custom intake. i do not know what thew effect might be. i will however need to build another pipe because my current pipe is too long to house said box.

unfortunatly i do not have dyno results. my stock intake has been "chopped" during and experiment and thus makes a base dyno unattainable. i however will dyno my car to compare the difference between my current intake and my current intake + dohc res box.

The DOHC res box is important to the intake system. it help give the engine torque. torque is important. on the SOHC i will give my honest opinion and restate that i think it is near useless.

Where is all this going??

I am about to start another round of Intakes in 2 weeks or so. I have streamlined my method and have designes for 4 different intakes, DOHC stcok replacement, DOHC CAI, SOHC stock replacment, and SOHC CAI. I would like the thank J protege, and lourdarp for thier paicients(sp) in allowing me to blunder my way into perfecting their intakes.

they are 2.5" mendral bent alumized steel. (dont groan AL-steel does not heat soak like aluminum does and when powder coated is more heat resistant. (i'm an engineer i can prove this, hell yeah edumacation) and i can weld it. (no paying for a shop to do it)

The CAI is a 3" mendral bend that goes into the space infront of your wheel well. (see pic above) you will need to either find a thin filter, or re locate you coolant overflow bottle. the APC, APEXI and K&N "normal" cone filter has a space oriented issue.

You will need to get a 3" filter adatpor. these cost less than 5 bucks on e-bay. go buy one yourself, it is cheaper than me buying a bunch, having them shipped to me. then shipping to you.

this iw what it look like un powder coated, (note i to the pic just before i installed the nipple for the PCV

compared to a stock DOHC pipe

this is the stock replacement style intake,

as interest grows i will begin to post prices. a CAI shipped should run just under $100USD size of the group buy permitting. now as usual the more people intersted the cheaper i can make them. and a stock replacement mendral intake will be cheaper than a CAI.

I am just gauging interest. but you could have an engine bay that looks like this:
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

I am definitely interested in the stock replacement setup for a DOHC motor.

Comment

Im interested in the whole setup for the SOHC CAI .
      I was interested wiht yer other group buy back on pclub.. but was too late to get involved..
      Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
      -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
      -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
      -B&M Short Throw Shifter
      -MX-3 GS front seats
      -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
      (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

i want the DOHC CAI, i never got in on the last group buy, but i am in on this one! Keep us posted!
        Eat ****.

Comment

keep me posted on pricing and time. I want the DOHC but my question is will the baffle valve fit it? I mean I wouldn't want to suck water into my engine. If it will I will get the CAI, if not then I would be interested in the stock replacement.
          Just tryinng to make a roachclip racer!
          Go Fast Drive Well Die Old!

Comment

thanks to some 'guidance' by daryl, i'm going to attempt copying his handi-work, 180 degree mandrel u-bend from jc whitney, some hose adapters, jb weld, some fititngs, and plenty of hose clamps.. the one piece design is definately more preferred for me, but i just want to try doing something out on my own for once... and i can actaully be proud of it . good luck bro
            peace

Comment

u know im interested brock, i actually have all of ur money - the money order

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                tsk tsk.. a group buy in 1st gen general? Protoss, you should know better.
                but Dave. i was just explaining the difference between the intakes. the G/B thing was just a tack on. meh. i'll write another post that is solly about the differences betweent he intakes.

Robert n/s you actually have my money!!

and i still need to get a hold of jeff (v-tec this), he still ha not responded to any of my e-mails

as for time frame, let me finish my current project, swap my engine. then i will do intakes. October 10th is more or less the date. as for pricing... likle everything else it depends on the number of people who want it, and what they want. if everyone want the CAI, then thins will be a little, i do mean little cheaper.

but yeah you got about a month to save up. i would prefer to do about 10 -15 of these at once. things are a little cheaper per unit

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                  but Dave. i was just explaining the difference between the intakes. the G/B thing was just a tack on. meh. i'll write another post that is solly about the differences betweent he intakes.

Robert n/s you actually have my money!!

and i still need to get a hold of jeff (v-tec this), he still ha not responded to any of my e-mails

as for time frame, let me finish my current project, swap my engine. then i will do intakes. October 10th is more or less the date. as for pricing... likle everything else it depends on the number of people who want it, and what they want. if everyone want the CAI, then thins will be a little, i do mean little cheaper.

but yeah you got about a month to save up. i would prefer to do about 10 -15 of these at once. things are a little cheaper per unit
                  vtech-this is sending my money order today(monday)-no one in canada has gotten their shifters yet

Comment

also update:

the stock replacement intake is 2" shorter that the CAI pipe. and if you want to keep your res box (DOHC's really only have to worry about this) you NEED to tell me!! i will concider powder coating you have a choice blue, red, or uncoated. if it is an even split colour wise i'll do both but if one colour is perdominate over the other... sorry.

SOHC i advise losing the res box. Cablemirc! today is your lucky day AOL me!

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                      vtech-this is sending my money order today(monday)-no one in canada has gotten their shifters yet
                      Hmm, I got my shifter from him like a month ago (though I'm in the U.S.)
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by bbthum
                        keep me posted on pricing and time. I want the DOHC but my question is will the baffle valve fit it? I mean I wouldn't want to suck water into my engine. If it will I will get the CAI, if not then I would be interested in the stock replacement.
                        witht he placement of the "CAI" i dont thing you will be sucking water into it

So his engine he goosed

Comment

DOHC stock
                          cortez[paid]

DOHC CAI
                          KiddX[paid] (blue)

SOHC CAI
                          Cablemirc[paid]
                          mustangjosh67[paid] (blue)

TOTAL = 9

(the colours are if possible it might happen but no gaurentees)
                          Last edited by Protoss; 11-15-2003, 11:47 AM.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

i am in for a sohc cai, and if at all possible could you powdercoat it blue?
                            '91 323 SE
                            Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
                            <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

I need a price and a time. I would prefer and emerald green if possible but will go with blue.
                              Just tryinng to make a roachclip racer!
                              Go Fast Drive Well Die Old!

Comment

Working...
                              X