Sanding down the car for painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanding down the car for painting

im gonna be painting the car in august and im wondering how hard it is to get a bunch of people together and sand down my car. what grit paper to use, methods of sanding, yadda yadda yadda
    Serenity's Dead.

If you wanna wait a bit i'm gonna be making a how-to...It will contain the information you need. I made a kinda quick guide in the chipped bumper post...

Comment

Im also interested in this, :-)

Comment

didnt gro write a how-to on painting your car? im not sure though
        Last edited by JProtege; 06-10-2004, 10:39 PM.
        Tag Team

Comment

if i was in your area i could help ya with the work since i already work in a shop. but i can still give ya tips if ya want.

Comment

just need the basic info, what grit/grits to use, is using a power sander ok, can you apply primer on your own, etc etc
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

get a DA sander and some 400 grit and go for it.

Comment

do i use a tough grit to start out and then a softer one afterwards?
                Serenity's Dead.

Comment

you dont really have to. it kinda depends on if you want to take all of the paint off or just rough up the factory paint and go over that. usually the latter works great but the white cars crust off so maybe you would want to take all the paint down. if thats the case use 220grit then go over again with 400 and then primer it.

Comment

im taking off the ****ty kevlar primer too.
                    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

You wouldnt need to go over 220 grit with anything if you are going to prime it. you can prime over 180 grit scratches and be okay...

Comment

i want to so this the right way, the word "scratches" does not seem to fit in with the term "paint job"
                        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

if you use good primer it will cover 220 grit fine.

Comment

what exactly do you think sanding does.....it scratches the old surface to give the paint something to adhere to....

You can do it however you want if you wannna start with 240 and work your way up to 1500 be my guest. Its just more un-necessary work for you to do.

Maybe you should do a little more research and ask around a bit with other people that actually are in the paint/bodywork industry.... Then make your desicion.

Oh, are you gonna actually be doing the painting or taking it somewhere? If you're taking it somewhere ask the people that are going to be painting it how they would like you to prep it.

Comment

ill be taking it somewhere most likely, they said ts $250 to just spray it. i was just thinking that if i started with something rough and then used something smoother than it would look better when everything was done? like the surface would be smoother? or do you sand down the primer smooth after you've put it on?
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X