Cleaning the steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the steering wheel

My steering wheel looks like crap! It's mad dirty. Hopefully some of you guys know what i'm talkin about.

Does anyone have a good way of cleaning it? I'd like it to look "fresh off the lot" clean if possible. Thx!
    Tag Team

armoural

Comment

??
      Tag Team

Comment

armoural!! you'd have to be born yesterday to not know what armoural is (please, forgive the spelling). works as well as anything else.. but if you're talking about the center cap looking crappy, you may just be able to spray some clear coat on there, let it dry.. that might give you some of the original shine back. as far as the wheel itself, if it's flaking or has cracks in it, there is not much armoural or clear coat would do ya.. your next best bet would be a new one from the dealership (centercap and assembly run over $100 at the dealership), or a slightly nicer looking junkyard steering wheel. if none of this works for you, just paint the bitch and call it a day
        kevin

Comment

paint eh? that might be the way to go. how would i go about doing that?
          Tag Team

Comment

This is one thing that EVERYONE most likely overlooks when cleaning out their interior.

I always scrub the living **** out of my steering wheel.

If you have never cleaned it, just wiping a towel over with pine-sol isn't going to do ****, let along armor-all, which will likely worsen the problem by making more dirt "stick" to the crevices in the rubber.

What to do?

Remove your wheel! make sure that focker is straight so you can put it back on. They are VERY easy to remove. Just undo the 3 screws holding the horncap on, pop the cap off, remove the wire that connects the horn. Then there is a 21mm nut that isn't too hard to get off.

Once that is loosened, remove it and set it aside. STRAIGHTEN THE WHEEL NOW. Then very gently tug on each end of the steering wheel back and forth, wiggling it. Over time, it'll wiggle off and pull off easily, but if you wiggle it without being gentle, you can bend the steering wheel's roundness out of shape.

Anyways, after you get that focker off, fill your kitchen sink with HOT ****ING WATER. if you want, pour dish soap in there too.

put the wheel in the water....let it soak for at least 20 mins, the longer the betta.

get a plastic nailbrush, or toothbrush (hard bristles are better) or vegetable brush and begin to scrub that ****er's crecvices. Doing it while its under the hot water works best IMO and is less messy, but its up to you.

You'll notice a HELL of a difference after doing this. The wheel has a lot more grippy feeling, looks shiny (assuming it doesn't have sun damage already) and won't transfer nasty bacteria to your hand every time you drive.

You should see my 93 Pro LX's wheel, its so ****ing clean its ridiculous. My MX3's wheel looks a little ****tier b/c of sun damage but its still pretty clean.
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

oh ya, to maintain the wheel so it stays clean. Every time you go over your interior with the vaccuum, windex and armorall the dash & panels (should be done at least 2x a year to keep perfect looking interior), then just get a cup of hot water, a toothbrush and dip that focker in there. Pull it out and start scrubbing the wheel. Wipe off with c lean paper towel until the whole wheel is done.

Sounds like it takes a long time, but it really doesn't. Maybe 10 minutes of work each time you clean your interior.

ALSO do this EXACT procedure to your e-brake handle & shiftknob. Those get disgusting as **** too. Door handles (if you have a basemodel with a ****ty rubber handle), will also clean up really nice.

Comment

Gro to the rescue again! thx man. I will do this on my next day off! maybe put it in a new thread and sticky it?
                Tag Team

Comment

First of all, Armor-All looks like crap, don't use it. There are products out there that will preserve your interior, but don't leave that "cheap" greasy look that Armor-All causes.

Also, if you ARE gonna use Armor-All on your interior, DON'T use it on your steering wheel. It will cause the wheel to be slippery, making driving less safe. It will also come off on your hands, making your hands greasy and causing them to smell like armor-all.
                  ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Armor all works fine for me. I actually use "blue magic" b/c I have an assload of it.

The thing ppl need to know is to use it sparingly. I see some ppl's interior who just spray the **** onto their dash (HORRIBLE IDEA) and wipe it on. Looks uneven and ****ty.

What you wanna do, is fold a paper towel into 1/4's, and then spray the **** directly onto the towel & wipe the dash & other parts firmly. It'll look great, not as glossy.

The reason you don't want to spray it directly onto the dash & other parts is b/c that **** WILL **** UP ANY CLEAR PLASTIC IT TOUCHES!!! When I bought my MX3, the dash was ****ing glossy as hell (looked like **** kinda) & there wre all of these whitish looking splotches on the gauge cluster plastic that blocked the view. I later realized that was thanks to the idiot ****bag who owned the car before me, spraying the **** onto the dash & cluster and doing a half-assed job of applying it with a towel.

Comment

Working...
                    X