Good All-Season P195/50-R16 anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good All-Season P195/50-R16 anywhere?

I have 2001 Protege ES with 195/50-R16 and I'm looking for an all-season replacement of my Dunlop sport 5000 tires (which suck in winter).

Is there such a thing as goodall-seasons in this size? I was thinking of avoiding winter tires and rims. Just want to use same tire /stock rim all year. I live near Toronto so have to deal with snow a few times a year on the roads. The Dunlops are death wish tires for any slippery surface.

Larry

I've got Uniroyal Tigerpaws on my car. They're like 185 70 r14s though, but they more than likely have them in your size.
    I've had them on my car since I bought it. They've probably got ~75,000km on them, still got enough tread to last me till winter, and I drive fairly hard.
    They ain't bad tires really. I've lost traction in winter a few times but nothing major. Try a set of those maybe.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      bah

the falken ziex 512s are the best for the dollar
      I second that one. Great tires, A rated traction, A rated temp, and 420 treadwear

Comment

I'm looking for the same size for my 02 ES. There are only about 5 all-season tires in that size. I have no idea why they don't make more in that size. I'm probably going to get the Toyo Proxes TPT. Anybody know anything about them?
        02 Protege ES 5-spd

Comment

have you considered a set of snow tires without new wheels? That's what I do, just keep the snows in the garage in summer and vice versa (obviously if you don't have a garage then it's not really an option). It's really not that much of a hassle, you have to get the tires rotated every 5 or 6k anyways. . .

Comment

P195/50-R16 not available from Falken Ziex ZE-512

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
            I second that one. Great tires, A rated traction, A rated temp, and 420 treadwear

No I can't get the Falkens, they dont come in my size P195/50-R16 for the Protege ES.

Larry

Comment

205's are the absolute widest tires rated for a 5.5" rim, some people aren't comfortable going that wide without wider wheels

Comment

205's are the absolute widest tires rated for a 5.5" rim, some people aren't comfortable going that wide without wider wheels
                the ES should have a 5-lug rim and it should be 6.0" wide so a 205/50-16 is not an issue (I checked into that on most mfg web sites when I made my choice). A 205/45-16 is pushing it according to mfg specs for a 6.0" rim, they want a 6.5" width.
                --JJB--
                '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

oh, my bad, didn't realize it was a 6" wheel. But yeah, it's still pushin it. According to falken minimum width for 205 is 5.5", but yeah, they recommend 6.5".

Comment

oh, my bad, didn't realize it was a 6" wheel. But yeah, it's still pushin it. According to falken minimum width for 205 is 5.5", but yeah, they recommend 6.5".
                    it varies from company to company but looking at the Falken ZE-512s:

A 205/50-16 can be mounted on 5.5 to 7.5" wide rim while a 205/45-16 should be mounted on a 6.5 to 7.5" wide rim.

So it is not only a matter of tire width but of the sidewall height as well.
                    --JJB--
                    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

yeah, I was considering getting 205/65R14, but went with the 195s on mine, wasn't comfortable pushing it to the absolute max

edit: moral of the story is, spend the extra 5 mins and look at the detailed manufacturer specs, I don't know a single tire company that doesn't list the rated width for each and every tire they sell

Comment

Yeah, most speedos shoot about 2 mph low. If the rims are 6.5" then you have no worries

Comment

Hey thanks all. I think I will look into 205/50-R16 falken tires for my Protege ES2.0. Yeah I got the stock 5 lug rims (same as P5).
                          But I was worrying about fender rubbing during bumps/turns because of the 10mm width increase. I guess its not an issue since you have it.

Larry

look man, I have 205/50-16s on my stock rims right now.... they work perfectly fine.. in fact the rims are REALLY 6.5"

if you're worried about the speedometer, you can forget about it... it's only about 1% difference, and in fact my non-scientific tests showed that the speedometer is MORE accurate... tested with GPS before and after

look at it this way.... the MP3 and MSP uses the same speedo gear/sensor... they did NOT design a special one for their cars just because they have 215/17-45

so obviously if it was good enough for mazda, then there is a great tollerance between these overall tire/wheel diameters.... having stock sizes actually made the speedo report the speed faster than it really was!

Comment

How are the Falkens on snow in winter conditions? I'm near Toronto and get the snow a few times a year. My stock Dunlop sport 5000s are terrible on the snow or slush.

Larry

bah

the falken ziex 512s are the best for the dollar

Comment

Originally posted by Nutella
                              Hey thanks all. I think I will look into 205/50-R16 falken tires for my Protege ES2.0. Yeah I got the stock 5 lug rims (same as P5).
                              But I was worrying about fender rubbing during bumps/turns because of the 10mm width increase. I guess its not an issue since you have it.

Larry
                              Yeah, rubbing on a stock wheel would be pretty difficult to do, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X