Rear drum/shoe wear check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear drum/shoe wear check?

Had my ATF and coolant flushed at a Mazda dealer the other day. As I was leaving, they give me this "Full Circle" report that says that the rear brakes are getting low.

Now I have rear drums and 46K miles--I thought these aren't supposed to go until 70-90K?? When I came in for brake service (replacing fronts) at 40K, the tech at that same dealership said that the rear brakes were looking fine.

I asked the service manager--did you take off the rear wheels and open the drums to check the brake shoe wear? She said: "no, we have a tool that we can check the rear shoe wear with."

Is there really a tool that allows you to check rear brake shoe wear without opening up the drum?? How can I validate her claims?

Anyway, she said that it would be $190 for rear brake service: replace shoes and resurface drums. $190 my effing ass! They are not even replacing the drums!
    2003 Mazda Protege5 Laser Blue 5MT, welded MSP LSD and more
    New England Mazda Owners Club member

Re: Rear drum/shoe wear check?

According to the FSM, under the heading Rear Brake (Drum) Inspection, inspecting the remaining thickness of the lining requires removal of the brake drum in order to measure it. The thickness can be no less than 1.0 mm (.039") or the brake shoes must be replaced.

Next, the inner diameter of the drum must be measured with an inside caliper. Maximum allowable diameter is 201.5 mm (7.933"). The drum must also be inspected for uneven or abnormal wear and repaired or replaced as necessary.

Nowhere in the FSM does it indicate that these measurements can be carried out without removing the drum nor is any special service tool listed that could perform this supernatural feat.
    Last edited by goldstar; 06-14-2004, 11:28 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
      According to the FSM, under the heading Rear Brake (Drum) Inspection, inspecting the remaining thickness of the lining requires removal of the brake drum in order to measure it. The thickness can be no less than 1.0 mm (.039") or the brake shoes must be replaced.

Next, the inner diameter of the drum must be measured with an inside caliper. Maximum allowable diameter is 201.5 mm (7.933"). The drum must also be inspected for uneven or abnormal wear and repaired or replaced as necessary.

Nowhere in the FSM does it indicate that these measurements can be carried out without removing the drum nor is any special service tool listed that could perform this supernatural feat.
      Sorry for the double-post and thanks! I'm calling their bluff!
      2003 Mazda Protege5 Laser Blue 5MT, welded MSP LSD and more
      New England Mazda Owners Club member

Comment

Originally posted by Astral
        Sorry for the double-post and thanks! I'm calling their bluff!
        Glad I could help and by the way, welcome to the Forum.

02 DX Millenium Red
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Fixed the double post.

I've replaced my rear shoes twice in the lifetime of my car, and it's at 80,000 right now. I guess it depends on your driving style.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Holy old-post batman!!

All late and wrong, but its bull****! Some have small grommets in the rear so you can view one of the shoes, but its not that accurate. Brake dust makes it hard to tell, so the best bet is to just pull them off. There is a tool to tell you how close you are to needing shoes and usually consists of 6 colored pieces but only when the drums are off.

Comment

Working...
            X