need help with springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with springs

I need some help in deciding what spring/coilover package to buy. The H+R extreme and the Ground Control coilover kits both look good to me. I was wanting a little bit of input regarding the pros and cons of both kits. I want better handling, but I still want a halfway decent ride. My car is a 1997 lx with a full Erebuni kit and 17 inch Enkei RS6 wheels with 205/40 R17 rubber if that helps. I would appreciate any advice given. My car is about to come out of the shop with a custom paintjob in a few days, and I need to decide on a package to make the car look right.
    current mods:

bodykit with custom green paint
    55" Matrix GR Motorsports two element wing
    clear corner lens
    17" Enkei RS6 wheels with 205/40R17 rubber
    Ground Control coilover kit
    KYB GR-2 struts
    LED undercar kit
    Tenzo Racing seats
    Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP head unit
    2 Cadence 12" subs
    Cadence 1000 watt amp
    Lightning Audio 1.0 farad capacitor
    Pioneer Premier front and rear speakers

future mods:

engine swap
    custom interior
    upgraded sound system

Last time I checked H&R coilovers for our model do not exist. Ground Control I think is the only one who makes coilovers. As far as springs go, you can choose from H&R (1.3"), Intrax (1.8"), or BG Extreme (2.25"). It looks to me that you are building a show car, so coilovers would be a better choice for it. Goodluck with it, and post pics when you are done.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

My spring of choice, H&R, and to make it a perfect combo, Tokico struts, blue color.

Comment

I'm running aerospeed coilovers - the rides a bit bouncy but not bad. I installed them about a week ago so I dont know if they have completely 'settled' yet... They arnet as big a drain on the wallet as the ground controls.

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

The H&R's are great

Comment

Arospeed are a bit bumpy but they did the job as far as looks... I was happy a day after mine were on. In fact may seems funny but i noticed a drop also because when I wash my car I usually reach really far out to wash the roof, and then all of a sudden I didnt have to reach as far. Coilovers are great. Not to mention adjustable and easy to do yourself.

Comment

springs

Thanks for the help guys. All that info was helpful. I'll probably go with the Ground Control Kit. My car is a 1997, and i don't think the '91-'96 Protege Arospeed coilover kit will fit my car. I'm still looking for the Tokico shocks on the net and can't find them anywhere. I sure do need upgrade the suspension. Everything is stock right now, and it's really mushy. But that's understandable, the car is 7 years old now. I'll have pictures of the car up hopefully by the end of next week. I'm doing a few things to the car that I have not seen before on a 2nd gen. I sure hope it all turns out ok.
              Last edited by nicholas0202; 06-15-2004, 06:15 PM.
              current mods:

bodykit with custom green paint
              55" Matrix GR Motorsports two element wing
              clear corner lens
              17" Enkei RS6 wheels with 205/40R17 rubber
              Ground Control coilover kit
              KYB GR-2 struts
              LED undercar kit
              Tenzo Racing seats
              Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP head unit
              2 Cadence 12" subs
              Cadence 1000 watt amp
              Lightning Audio 1.0 farad capacitor
              Pioneer Premier front and rear speakers

future mods:

engine swap
              custom interior
              upgraded sound system

Comment

I have a 96 and I was told I could have Tokicos on from a race shop I go to, for $87 each. It is a place called VTR www.vtrweb.com They are in everett, Washington about 10 minutes from my house. You might give them a call.

Comment

That wasnt counting install, that was per stut at $87

Comment

Working...
                  X