Driving with low fuel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving with low fuel...

Does anyone with a 2nd gen have a problem running the gas tank really low on fuel?

saay, less than a quarter tank?

Occasionally, when im around a quarter tank... and i go to WOT my car jerks back and fourth... the problem is that it doesent always do it when its low on fuel... i initially was thinking that the fuel pump was broken, but it does it with my new one too... now im starting to think that it does it cause of fuel starvation?

it has never done it on a full tank of gas

does anyone have any comments or advice?
    thanks

I've ran my car all the way to the E line and had no problems...
    Haven't got an idea what may be wrong with yours. sorry
    Mike A.

Comment

your fuel pump has a screen on it, to keep out solid objects and all that garbage that builds up in your gas tank. When you let the tank get really low on fuel that buildup will clocg the screen and restrict the flow of gasoline, causeing your engine to starve for gas :D When the tank is full the buildup just kind of settles at the bottom and there isnt a problem. This same thing happened to my friends 94 integra. My advice is to just keep the fuel level up, or pull the tank out and give it a nice washin :D

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

Originally posted by mattbeekler
        My advice is to just keep the fuel level up, or pull the tank out and give it a nice washin :D
        I think that could be it, just to make sure, take the pump out when you have less then a quater of gas and check how much **** you got there. When I got my car I had to change the pump, so I took the old one out and thee was so much crap in there liie water, some other weird stuff. So I took the tank out, washed it , let it dry and put it back. Not a hard job, took me about 3 hoursall together . I was in a hurry, so I used a hair dryer to dry the tank lol
        98 protege LX for appearance
        89 626 GT for performance

Comment

good advice
          thanks guys

i never thought of that it could be just buildup of crap, but it seems like it makes sense
          especially since russian said he checked his and he had a lot of crud in there

thanks again

Comment

I have the same problem in my 96 lx, when I get less then a quarter I get a huge decrease in power it seems. It feels slightly jerky at times too. I hadnt thought of that but everyones guess here is probably better then mine.

Comment

Working...
            X