Hi Flow Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Flow Cat

Will most any universal hi flow cat work on a 96 LX? I was thinking 2 1/2 inches in/out and all the way back.

R.

magnaflow 91000 series

edit: stock piping is 2" the part number for a 2" in/out magnaflow is 91004
    Last edited by 95ProLeila; 06-15-2004, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thats the only one???
      Where canm I find it?
      R.

Comment

it comes in a bunch of sizes, goto magnaflow.com. The 91000 series is just the proper setup for a protege so you don't throw a CEL and/or fail emissions

Comment

Cool thanks, I read a post about melting the inside of it out, and I was like....uhhhh I dont think so, I'd rather pay the 50 bucks and get one.

Comment

its a bit more than $50, and I think the melting thing was bs, because from what I understand, the inside is ceramic. . . which doesn't melt

Comment

I read he torched it, but oh well that doesnt matter because I am not doign that.
              Thanks

R.

Comment

After my cat the piping is 2.25" and before it is stock. Which cat would I get?

Ok so it's the 91000 Small oval series.

What will a High Flow cat do exactly? What are the positives and negatives?
                ED
                '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

More high end I believe, mabey a few hp. Also it will be louder. A more 'beefy' sound.
                  Other then that I dont know a lot about em.
                  Negatives- $

Comment

It won't be that much louder. It's less restrictive which is what you want throughout your entire exhaust. The 91000 series is what Magnaflow told me to use on a 95-6 protege. You may want to call them since you're a 97-8, just to make sure.

Comment

Would I need the first one "91000 small oval"
                      or the second one "91000 single sensor"?

Comment

91004 offhand I'm not sure which one it is.

Comment

that was the first one without the sensor, and that is at 2" would it be possible to get a 2 1/2? or would I need to match up the size from the header pipe?

Comment

How would pulling out the cat and just throwing in a straight piece of pipe effect the car? Wouldent that offer maximum flow? I'm sure its not exactly legal... but i dont have emissions here and its not like a cops going to go up under my car and see it.... :D

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

you'd throw a nasty CEL. Your car would go into "safe" mode, and wouldn't be much fun to drive.

edit: fox, I would say use all 2" piping, the size is fine. If you're really hellbent on going larger, take it to a shop and see what your options are. I'm pretty sure you can do 2.5" cat on 2" from the header to a 2.5" midpipe, but the piping from the header would need to be expanded.
                              Last edited by 95ProLeila; 06-17-2004, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X