Roll CAGE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll CAGE!

Ok, now there really isnt a company out there that makes roll cages for the PRO , so id have to have one custom built or build one myself, and I would rather build it myself to learn and ****. So anyone have any info or tips on building one, such as: type of metal to use, thickness, where to mount, where to get the piping, do I have to weld it in place, or can I bolt it up somehow, etc. Thanks a bunch !!!
    Eat ****.

Well, I occasionally build 10ft dirt hils and jump my car over it.

JK, Im basically gonna turn my car into an all out road racer. And Since im a novice at that kinda driving I think that would help a bit in the safety department, plus Im gonna use race seats and harnesses, and If i roll my car and have no roll cage when Im wearing a harness, supposedly the harness dosent let ur body move and it will increase your chances of snapping ur neck alot from what ive been told. Plus I like to race down mountains as well. And it'd be just plain out cool!! hahah. Maybe id be the first person in a PRO with a roll cage.
    Eat ****.

Comment

LOL, I wouldnt use fence posts or anything like that, I think im going to contact a company and ask where they get their metal from, use the same type, then study up on the geometry of the car and where it would mount safely and stuff. I feel like an engineer! haha. Thanks tho
      Eat ****.

Comment

yeah...a roll cage would be cool...but like david said, it would probably be better to have it professionaly done...dont leave ur safety to chance

Comment

It's cool that you want to learn, but I would not start my learning process by building a roll cage. I mean, if you do something wrong, it could cost you your life.

Also, if you plan to road race your Protege, you might want to check out the rulebook of whatever class you plan on racing in, since it should tell you what kind of rollcage and other modifications you will need. If you just build something blindly, you might end up with a cage that is not approved.

Comment

And they are illegal in road cars. The jaws or life wont cut threw them. So noone will put them in inless its a race car. Atleast around here they wont ...Jon

Comment

Re: Roll CAGE!

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
              Ok, now there really isnt a company out there that makes roll cages for the PRO , so id have to have one custom built or build one myself, and I would rather build it myself to learn and ****. So anyone have any info or tips on building one, such as: type of metal to use, thickness, where to mount, where to get the piping, do I have to weld it in place, or can I bolt it up somehow, etc. Thanks a bunch !!!
              ok an honest engineering anewer to such a question.

use STEEL!!! SAE 1030, SAE 1045, or SAE 1060. these are carbon steels. they work well are stong and impact resistant. if you are going for tube steel your minimun diameter should be 2" with a side wall of at he the VERY LEAST 3/16". the streagth of your roll cage will be dependent of it's design. the strength of the component is porportional to their cross-sectional area (the thicker the pipe the stonger it is.)

i could design a roll cage for me. i'm not a professional yet, so i will in no way release my designs as a manufacture. look if you aren't an engineer, GET IT PROFESSIONALLY DONE!!!! this is something you are going to be betting your life on. DUDE take this seriously! if you are doing something that dictates such a thing, and i dont care wtf it is, be smart about it!!
              Last edited by Protoss; 09-23-2003, 12:15 AM.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

But I am an engineer!! HAHAH Jk, I found a company tha tmakes roll cages and bars for our cars. Im just gonna order one! thanks tho!!
                Eat ****.

Comment

autopower makes one... and any race fab shop will build one for you. Make sure they are accredited.

You cannot make your own cage for most race series. There are lists of approved builders who can do it for you.

Until you can afford a daily driver and tow vehicle, forget the idea of building "an all out roadracer". You have no idea of the money hole you want to dig by saying that.
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

"Until you can afford a daily driver and tow vehicle, forget the idea of building "an all out roadracer". You have no idea of the money hole you want to dig by saying that."

Been there, done that and it sucked driving 200 miles in 100 degree weather in a loud, stiff car with no A/C, no radio, no insulation, etc. and then spinning a bearing at the track...

Comment

I got another car as a daily driver, its just getting a new engien put in. 89 Rx7 GTU, but im swapping the TII drivetrain and engine. LOL, funny to say my pro is gonna be a race car and my 7 is gonna be a daily driver, but I think im just gonna stick to keeping my pro as daily and turn y rx7 into a drifter. !!
                      Eat ****.

Comment

I got another car as a daily driver, its just getting a new engien put in. 89 Rx7 GTU, but im swapping the TII drivetrain and engine. LOL, funny to say my pro is gonna be a race car and my 7 is gonna be a daily driver, but I think im just gonna stick to keeping my pro as daily and turn y rx7 into a drifter. !!
                        Hehe, my buddy Neal is in a similar situation...

2003 Subaru WRX STi = daily driver
                        1977 VW Scirocco = racecar

course, the Scirocco is a bit modded...
                        Attached Files
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

thats sweet wtf is done to it??
                          Eat ****.

Comment

thats sweet wtf is done to it??
                            A lot.

-1.9L block, forged pistons, rods, balanced rotating assembly
                            -Ported head, big cam, oversized valves, etc
                            -ported G60 supercharger
                            -custom built intake manifold using Audi 5000 as a starting point
                            -water to air intercooler
                            -double adjustable konis all around
                            -silly stiff spring rates, huge front sway bar, no rear sway bar
                            -Quaife lsd
                            -13 x 9 Keizer wheels, 225 Hoosiers
                            -cage, seats, harnesses
                            -much much more
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Re: Roll CAGE!

here ya go: http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=962 $300
                              James G.
                              sobe83@yahoo.com
                              AIM: DVS 323BPT
                              MySpace
                              Cardomain
                              <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Working...
                              X