running rich and black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running rich and black smoke

i have spent the last month fighting with my engine.

symptoms:
    running so rich i would flood the engine when i turned the car off.
    loss of power when accelerating hard
    very uneven and irratic idle
    poor warm starts

i replaced, the VAF, some fo the vaccum hoses, FPR, i built an eninge grounding kit(thank you Gro), and i replaced "A" ECT sensor

well the probelm kept persisting and i kept pulling a #9 engine code (check engine coolant temperature sensor). i was screaming and pissed off because i had replaced that.

Long story short there are 2 coolant temperature sensors. i had replaced the wrong one. the grey on with one wire is for the gauge on the dash, the green one is for the ECU. i replaced the grey one and nothing happened except my gauge on my dash became a little more accurate.

moral of the story RTFM
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Sounds like something I need to look into on my car. When I start my car the engine temp gauge bottoms out (goes below the starting mark in COLD on the gauge) and when I turn the car off it goes back up to the starting postion.

Adam
    91 Protege GTR
    1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
    MODS:
    GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
    TO DO LIST:
    EDM/JDM rear bumper
    EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
    Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedPro
      Sounds like something I need to look into on my car. When I start my car the engine temp gauge bottoms out (goes below the starting mark in COLD on the gauge) and when I turn the car off it goes back up to the starting postion.

Adam
      91 Protege GTR
      yeah you just need a new sensor, the grey one. aslong as you aren't pulling a CEL it is the grey sensor. located down and to the left of your disty. the green ECT sensor is down and to the right of the disty.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
      X