anyone else had bad plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone else had bad plugs?

my 99lx hesitating real bad. one of the plug wires looks like toast. anyone experience something similar? how much are plug wires going to set me back and does Mazda sell them individually?

thanx as always
    Want Projector Headlights ?

I beleive you should be able to get the wires individually, but they will probably be special order, 2-3 days out. Have you checked the coil packs? They are notorious for going bad on the 1.6.
    2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

Where exactly are the coil packs? Thanks for answering if this may be a stupid question. Because... yes I have been having some hesitation lately... and yes, still have original plug wires too and will replace them soon and if that doesnt fix it... would like to know where the coil packs are.
      Last edited by sLoPrO2k; 06-19-2004, 09:48 PM.

Comment

oh yeah and can someone tell me the best wires to get for the 1.6? Thanks~

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
          oh yeah and can someone tell me the best wires to get for the 1.6? Thanks~
          NGK makes an excellent set of replacement spark plug wires for your car. Magnecore also makes wires but they are very expensive and IMO are no better than the NGK's. Also, I believe that spark plug wires should be replaced as a set for best results. If one wire is bad, it's likely that the others are also in a deteriorated state.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks for the info man.... you wouldn't happen to have a website would you?

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
              Thanks for the info man.... you wouldn't happen to have a website would you?
              You might try: www.importrp.com/ngk_wires.html
              or: www.forparts.com/ngk.htm
              or: www.rockauto.com

I've never ordered from them so know nothing about their service or reliability but they claim they stock all NGK wire sets. Caveat emptor!

I think the NGK wire set for the 2000 1.6L is part no. ZE53 but you had really better check me on that before buying.

02 DX Millenium Red
              Last edited by goldstar; 06-20-2004, 06:14 PM.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

yeah mines studdering a bit as well, ill look at the plugs, and wires.
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                  You might try: www.importrp.com/ngk_wires.html
                  or: www.forparts.com/ngk.htm
                  or: www.rockauto.com

I've never ordered from them so know nothing about their service or reliability but they claim they stock all NGK wire sets. Caveat emptor!

I think the NGK wire set for the 2000 1.6L is part no. ZE53 but you had really better check me on that before buying.

02 DX Millenium Red
                  THANKS A LOT!

Comment

I have the NGK Premium blue plug wires, got them and the NGK plus from MazdaStuff.com for cheap. I recommend those.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

You guys are going to have to be carefull on what kind of plugs you are using! We were using Plantinum plugs and they screwed up our coils! Freaking shop that installed them installed them wrong. We took it to mazda service and told us that they used the wrong plugs and they screwed up. They advised us not to use platinum plugs as well. Well to make a long story short, Mazda servise charged us a leg and arm but the shop paid for there screw up
                      And to those who say that the altezza's are fugly

Comment

Well I finally got around to ordering some wires.... i will keep you posted if this solves my hesitation problems.

Comment

I personally have always used bosch platinum plugs, then one day i went out and tried starting my truck, it would shut off a few seconds after it started....so i popped the hood and found one of the spark plugs had broken in the middle, the top was plugged into the wire, and the bottom was still screwed in..auto zone replaced it and have yet to have a bad plug...I had put them on 4 months prior to that...weird...I put ngk plugs and wires on my 94 pro and they run great....

DaPro
                          94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
                          (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

Update

Problem fixed

bought coil pack with all wires from salvage yard off a pro with 20k miles. only $50! I don't even want to know what Mazda would have charged.
                            Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Congrats! hope my problem is solved.... once again....can someone tell what the coil packs are?

Comment

Working...
                              X