Protege 5 header problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protege 5 header problems

Yes im a newbie, and yes i tryed searching.

Yesterday i went to install the awr racing header. Took all stock hardware off. Than i go to install the new header and theres no way its getting into that car. Not from the bottom or the top of the enigne bay. So than I drained the collent. And removed the upper rad hose and the hardware it connects to. Sort fo looks like a water pumpp. And this was not going in. Corksport was closed yesterday so Im going to try on monday. But does anybody see a way besides removing the ac condensor and all of that hardware.

HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Hate to tell you this but when my mechanic installed my AWR header, he basically had to remove all the hardware in the front of the engine including the radiator etc.. And after he got it in it is an extremely tight fit, in fact it touches the right front heat shield on the fans, has actually burned a groove in the heat shield, sorry bout the news but I dont think there is a way to get the header in without removing all that stuff, course I have a 99 sedan, but I dont think there is that big a difference in what is up there.

99ES 5spd, AWR header, AEM SRI, custom 2.25" SS catback, B&M shortshifter, Eibach prokit, KYB struts, powerstop rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, Magnecor wires and Iridium plugs

Comment

yep you'll probably have to take off the rad.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. You think when I bought them The unnamed company would have gave me a heads up. Lets just hope I dont have to mess around with the ac condensor, cause im not a fan of r-134a

Comment

All you need to do is remove the radiator, the radiator fans, and lower coolant hose. It goes up from the bottom. Not really that difficult once these parts are out. The passenger side radiator fan I just took out because as previously mentioned, it comes into contact with the header. It will NOT throw a CEL if you remove this fan. Just might want to cover up the loose connector with tape to keep it clean. Otherwise good luck on the install! Any more questions, feel free to contact me, I've put the header in and out a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by gcs118
            All you need to do is remove the radiator, the radiator fans, and lower coolant hose. It goes up from the bottom. Not really that difficult once these parts are out. The passenger side radiator fan I just took out because as previously mentioned, it comes into contact with the header. It will NOT throw a CEL if you remove this fan. Just might want to cover up the loose connector with tape to keep it clean. Otherwise good luck on the install! Any more questions, feel free to contact me, I've put the header in and out a number of times.
            Thanks alot. I will pm you when i go to do the install.

btw did you have to touch the ac condensor at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lilmalybegod
              Thanks alot. I will pm you when i go to do the install.

btw did you have to touch the ac condensor at all.
              Did not touch any A/C components, no. I'm out of town July 2-9 so if there is a delayed reply I am sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be glad to help out with what I can though.

Comment

Working...
              X