Turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo question

Is it wise/recommended to up the compression up the pistons if one is going F/I in the future? What if boost levels are not going to to exceed 7 or 8 psi?

Originally posted by steve_protege
    Is it wise/recommended to up the compression up the pistons if one is going F/I in the future? What if boost levels are not going to to exceed 7 or 8 psi?
    And.. why would you want high compression pistons in a turboed car?
    Knocking may occcur.
    Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
    you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

I thought upping the compression would be a good thing? So that means keeping our stock compression rate would suffice? What exactly would be knocking?

Originally posted by RALLYBP_94
      And.. why would you want high compression pistons in a turboed car?
      Knocking may occcur.

Comment

Read this thread. It's very informative on the subject:

-------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

So, keeping the stock pistons would be alright. Thats good to hear because I could use the money for other engine upgrades, like Pauter rods. These (Pauter rods) are good to upgrade to because it helps strengthen the engine internals, correct? Is a EBC or MBC needed if boost levels WON'T exceed 8 psi? How about bigger injectors or fuel pump?

Comment

First off, what kind of engine do you have in your car? If it's a 1st gen BP DOHC, then don't worry that much about the internals. They are very strong and you'd need to upgrade the rods, pistons, etc. only if you plan on passing the 400hp mark. With 8psi of boost, you'll be just fine.
            '91 LX
            '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
            well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Its the 3rd Gen DOHC ZM-DE engine.

Comment

So are any of things I asked about needed? Specifically, a boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                X