clutch replasement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch replasement

About 3-4 days ago I noticed that my clutch need to be replased. It's catching almost at the end when I release pedal. Anyway I don't have too much time to shop around - working 8 till 6 or later all week. Just talk to one mechanic and he said that work would be about 250$(CAN) 180 US . sounds pretty good to me. Anyway , he also said if I'm planning to keep this car for long time, what I'm gonna do for sure, I should replace the whole thing - bearing, preessure plate and disc.
    Just want to kno that he's right, don't trust those mechanics any more
    Thanks.
    also, any suggestions what should I get for my clutch ? That's only one car in a family and we have to drive it, have to replace it asap...
    98 protege LX for appearance
    89 626 GT for performance

Not sure about the cost, it seems reasonable though.
    I personally wouldn't get a clutch without getting new presure plate and throwout bearing.
    Might want to get your flywheel machined while you're at it.
    Not sure which clutches are made for your car, but aclutchmasters stage one would be a good replacement or an exedy if they make one for your application.
    Exedy's can be found on ebay relatively cheap.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Thanks Ryan, how long can I drive with the clutch working like this ? If I'll get stuff from e-bay it'll take about 2 weeks to arrive. Also, talking about flywheel machined , what does it actually do ? and where it could be done ?

Comment

there's only one on e-bay :

Should I check Canadian tire or Automotive warehouse for it ?

Comment

180 US dollars? Great Deal. I paid 300 dollars to get mine replaced 2 weeks ago. heh. And many places have clutch kits. If you get any clutch like one from Auto zone.. and maybe the performance clutches like clutchmasters, I think they would come with the pressure plate, throw out bearing and whatever else is needed.
          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

mines in the shop now.... making sure its the clutch.. and if it is the ACT clutch is goin in

Comment

is that 300 for everything, or just labour ? mine is just labour plus whatever parts gonna be...
              So is this one good enough ? Borg Warner NIB Clutch Kit: Mazda MX3, Protege
              Link is in my previous post

Comment

Just an update plus some more questions ... Here's the link fo the company which has clutch kit for pretty good price of 105 $(US) , I talk to mechanic that I'm gonna bring my car to and he said that those ones are remanufactured or something like that and might brake pretty soon. The price he gave me is 260$ (CAN) plus tax which gonna be around 230$(US) . Twice more money, eh ? any suggestions of what should I get ? HEre's the link to cheap ones :http://www.gripforce.com/clutch.asp mazda protege 1.5.

Comment

well mine is gone. but not ACT for me... 500 in labor with resurfaced flywheel and install.... not including the actualy clutch....

Comment

Machining the flywheel is kinda along the same lines as machining brake rotors or drums. Gets everything smooth, cleans up any possible glazing etc......
                    Alot of shops will do it when they replace a clutch but you might want to ask to be sure.
                    They will take care of sending it out to be done. Probably send it to Rick at R.A.M. Cylinder head and Machine on Montrose Rd.
                    I've never heard of Borg Warner making clutches but they do make transmissions and have been doing it for years. I'd think its probably a quality piece, but I'm not too sure if it will fit both the 1.8l and the 1.5l Pros.

Crappy tire probably wouldn't carry it, but the Automotive Whorehouse might, though the whorehouse I find to be quite over priced in performance parts.
                    It definitely wouldn't hurt to check. They could have it in faster than 2 weeks no doubt if they carry that part.

As far as how long can it be driven like that? Well, it depends on alot of **** really. If it just started to slip, you've probably got some time to kill. Wether you've got 2 weeks I don't know....
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Thanks a lot. Just gonna get something simple for now - and if I'll be able to upgrade my engine, then I'll get what I'll have to , like clutchmaster or ACT.

Comment

Working...
                      X