Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle/spindle problem. Please help!

Condensed version:
    I removed the two bolts holding the strut to the axle/spindle assembly, and instead of falling down (hanging down) the spindle popped UP. As if gravity was pulling it up, instead of down towards the ground. I managed to get the old strut out, and then put the new strut + spring in there, but I can't get the two holes aligned because something is pushing the spindle upwards. HELP!

Long story:
    So, I was installing my new springs and struts today, and I managed to do the driver's side without a hitch. Then I decided to take the car out of the "garage" and drive it back in, but in reverse, so I could see better on the side I was working.

It turns out that the lug nuts of the front passenger side wheel were loose. I heard noises from that wheel and then I realized my mistake... but I didn't think anything could get broken.

I parked the car, raised it, proceeded to take the strut assembly out. I had a hard time taking the two bolts out, and as soon as I took the second one out, the spindle went upwards, and at that point was being stopped by the bottom of the strut.... (the rubber boot directly behind the disc rotor is pushing the strut up). Then I got the new strut, with the new spring, and I secured the assembly with the three bolts on top but could not get those two bolts on the bottom to line up. I asked my brother to stand on the disc rotor to force the thing down so I could try to reattach it to the strut... We did not succeed.

What did I do wrong? How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Martin
    Last edited by Intruder; 06-23-2004, 08:00 PM.

jack the car up a little higher. and push the axle/brake-disc assembly downwards harder.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

It's jacked up to the max.
      So, did I brake anything?

Comment

Fixed it. Brute force style.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you jack up both sides of the car? or did you leave one side on the ground and the other on the jack stand?
          If so.. the stabelizer bar was fighting against you. lol
          latz -- u'll know for next time
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Only one side was jacked up.
            But why didn't this happen when I was working on the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              f so.. the stabelizer bar was fighting against you. lol
              THIS MAN KNOWS HIS ****.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
              X