Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning

This has probably been discussed, but have you guys had any problems with your Air Conditioning? I have a 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege. My air doesn't seem to work that well. It is blowing out cold air, but I have to keep the fan on high to stay cool. I have had the dealership look at it and they say nothing is wrong with the AC. Any ideas/commments?

How hot is it outside? Do you have tinted windows? Are you driving long distances at a time or just short trips with the car sitting in between?

Mine is the same way, until it's cleared out all the hot air in the car. Depending on the temperature outside that can take anywhere from five to fifteen minutes. Once it's clear I can turn it way down and it'll maintain the temperature inside.

Comment

A couple of Monday's ago when it was nasty (high 80's and humid), I ran the air and the car never really got comfortable. I had to keep the fan on High to keep the car remotely cool. I drove over 45 minutes to the delearship that night and I had to keep the fan on 3 or higher the whole time. I have had other cars and ridden in other cars where that isn't the case. Just curious of this is a "feature" of the car or not. Also, I do have tinted windows. It is a straight black tint on a black car and the car had sat for a while in the sun. I did run it over lunch, though, for about 15 minutes and it didn't ever get cool. Just concerned about it because that shouldn't be the case, period, and especially on a new car.

Comment

My '01 ES is the same way, and although it is three years old and probably due for a service, I found this in search and am going to pursue it. I get the same power surges.

'01 ES 5spd. w/everything.
        '81 BMW 320i.
        "Hell no I don't drive it, I put it on and jump around."

Comment

???
          Wow that blows, I got a 2000 and the AC is freezing. Even if I just turn it to 1 its gets pretty cold fast and just keeps getting colder I get alot of complaints from my passangers because its soo cold.

Comment

Pretty common issue on protege's The resistor in the fan switch doesn't work too well sometimes and may need to be replaced. MY wife's LX had this problem, the air would work sometimes and when the fan switch was in different positions. This was remedied by replacing the resistor for the switch but after a year the problem is back again.
            2003 Protege5
            Midnight Blue MTX
            2002 Protege LX
            Black Mica MTX

Comment

Air Conditioning

I have a 02 P5 and my a/c will only work on high and low on 2nd and 3nd the a/c light goes out.

Comment

I have a 02 P5 and my a/c will only work on high and low on 2nd and 3nd the a/c light goes out.
                Sounds like the same resistor issue, take it in to the dealer and get it sorted out. I sense a recall issue here sooner or later.
                2003 Protege5
                Midnight Blue MTX
                2002 Protege LX
                Black Mica MTX

Comment

Hey, mine doesn't work that well either, 03.5 MSP, unless I'm on the freeway. I've got tinted windows, and it's sunny here, very sunny, and around 104 just yesterday. Yeah, I live in Las Vegas as well. HOT AS HELL here!

Comment

yeah i have a 99 es, its freezing all the time. i guess it just sucks for you guys lol.

Comment

reviving a dead thread... anyone else still having problems with this? My P5 is exhibiting the same behavior. Works fine on 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 it flickers on and off or just doesn't work at all.

Is this resistor replaceable by someone with good soldering knowledge? Whereabouts is it?
                      Jason

Comment

My '01 DX compressor has stopped working on 2, 3 and 4. I don't think the resistor is the problem. The way I make 2 work is by setting my speed selector between 1 and 2 then wiggle it a tiny bit to the right. When the higher fan speed kicks in, the compressor will work as usual. 3 is the same thing. Set the speed selector between 3 and 4, wiggle it a tiny bit to the left and when the slower speed kicks in, the compressor will work fine. Of course, the selector looks weird but I get cold air.

Just giving a little CPR to this thread...

Comment

so long as were doing that, the a/c on my 2000 es is ice cold. but that being said my buddies 02 lx 2.0L has the evaporater gone... does anyone know if my a/c evaporater will work in his car? cause i dont ever use mine, so im just giving mine to him if it'll work.
                          What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?

Comment

i have a 99 1.6 LX and ac air works just fine =) although it takes alot of rpm away when it's on...
                            "When there is no more room i nhell, the dead will walk the earth"

Comment

Working...
                            X