new exhaust stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new exhaust stuff

Just an update for those who care, thursday I'm getting my new exhaust put in:
    Magnaflow 2" Hi-Flow Cat (#91004)
    Magnaflow 2" in/out 5x8" SS Muffler (#14214)
    3" round, angle cut SS tip (smallest I could find that was long enough)

I'll post pics ASAP!

edit: Any idea what kind of power gains I'll be looking at (at the crankshaft)? I'm was guessing/hoping ~7-10. . . but I'm no expert, as always input is appreciated!
    Last edited by 95ProLeila; 06-26-2004, 09:58 PM.

Copy cat. This is almost identical setup I plan to put on my car. Definately post pics, as I want to see how the muffler hides behind the bumper.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Lol, well, I'll say this: you have good taste. IMO Magnaflow is the only way to go if you're serious (and don't want rice). What size tip did you use? The 3" was the smallest I could find that was long enough, it's actually 2.25" in, 3" out. I'm a little bit nervous about how it's going to look, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm really excited to hear how it's going to sound and power is always good. How different was it when you put it on in regards to power? More low end, revs quicker, broader powerband, etc etc. . .

Comment

Woot. Sounds cool Definitely post pics ASAP, and let us know how much all this costs. PM me if you want to keep it a secret.

Comment

Lol, I don't really care if people know how much I'm spending, lemmie find the first recipt from ordering the stuff. . .
          -muffler 140
          -cat 200
          -tip 40

Comment

Not bad...
            Post pics when it's done. Day time pics this time!

Comment

Hahaha, what's wrong with my dusk pics? Will do though, I'm gettin it done at noon, so I'll have plenty of time to get the pics done. Probably won't be anything fancy tho, just a few shots of the new stuff.

Comment

I hope you keep the resonator.
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

definitely keeping the resonator, lol

Comment

Why not take it out?

Comment

Two reasons: 1. doesn't help power and 2. it would make it really really ****ing loud, which is not something I want

edit: anyone have any estimates on power gains?

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                        Two reasons: 1. doesn't help power and 2. it would make it really really ****ing loud, which is not something I want

edit: anyone have any estimates on power gains?

Dude chop the damn thing off.... Im telling you, u will notice the
                        difference. Its not that much louder. I have the Arospeed Gen. II
                        muffler with a 4" tip and its not all that loud. With the resonator chopped off
                        with straight flow from the cat, it sounds good, it doesnt have a ricey
                        sound either. It just depends on what car you do it on because on
                        some cars the motors are what makes it sound ricey.
                        Mike A.

Comment

i cut mine out and it isnt that loud at all, it is a nice sound

Comment

It's all about taste...marginally louder and deeper is alright.
                            Unforunately, the threshold from acceptable to annoying is pretty thin. Maybe some of you have seen this: http://eurotuned.com/multimedia/gti_vs_civic.htm
                            Listen to the exhaust on the Civic. Next time you hear a fart can exhaust system, I'll bet you can't help smiling.

The exhaust I built on my CRX is as close to perfect as I can find. It has a resonator, a Borla muffler and a resonated tip. The hard bends were pre fabricated mandrel and the slight fitment stuff is crushbent. The volume is hardly louder then stock but the tone is a few degrees deeper until full throttle or above 4k. So it's unintrusive and doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention (cops, thieves and neighbors) when I want to be discreet.

Sounds like a good setup, 95ProLeila.

As for power estimates...a one-off custom exhaust is usually good for 5-8% increases. Since our 1.5 is so anemic, I'd be happy with 5hp.
                            Last edited by davens; 07-01-2004, 05:34 AM.

Comment

See, I don't have the 1.5. . . muahahaha, lol, sry. Yeah, I have the BP (1.8) so chopping the resonator changes things, Bruce mentioned it (too loud, no power gains) in another thread, and I definitely believe him. So. . . 5-8% is about 6-10 hp, I'm happy with those numbers thx for the help, but now I'm on my way to the shop to get all this stuff done! Pics asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X