hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hood

If I wanted to wire a neon tube to turn on when the hood is opened, how would I go about doing this?

the easiest way to do it would be to get a hood trigger for an alarm and wire the ground from the neon to it. then hook the positive directly to the pos batt terminal, and whenever you open the hood, the trigger grounds out, and the neon turns on:D the trigger should be available from a local audio/security shop for pretty cheap. it *shouldn't* cost more than $5

Comment

awosme thanks blue

Comment

let me know if you run into any problems and take pics, so maybe you can make a how to:D

Comment

will do

Comment

to add a bit of safety to it, use a relay to turn on the neon. By doin this, you can choose to send the neon a GROUND to turn it on, or a POSITIVE to turn it on.

for a GROUND turn on, as BlueLEDz described:
            relay pins
            86 = ground from hood trigger
            85 = 12v+ fused
            87 = Ground
            87a = not used
            30 = to neon ground

neon positive to battery or main ignition loom under dash, FUSED

for POSITIVE turn on
            relay pins
            86 = ground from hood trigger
            85 = 12v+ join with 87 FUSED
            87 = 12v+ join with 85 FUSED
            87a = not used
            30 = to neon positive

neon negative to chassis ground.

while BlueLEDz is correct, he forgot to mention to, USE A FUSE on the power connection(s) to the battery or any 12v+ source in the vehicle :D:D:D

Depending on the neon, a 5amp fuse should be fine. You'll have to check the neons specs for it's current draw to be sure.

Comment

i ahve no idea what u just said... i dont know anthing about relays... but hanks for the info :D

Comment

what's the fun in adding a fuse?:D yeah, i forgot about that. 5 amps would be plenty. a basic inline one from walmart or autozone will be fine.

here's a pic to help with the wiring of the relay, if you use the relay on the negative side:

Comment

Working...
                X