Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPT Downpipes: Group Buy?

Btw...I'm loginology from the protegeclub.com

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to get my downpipe made at dayton Imports here in Dayton, OH...one of the most reputabile shops in the area.

I'm willing to sacrafice my car for a few weeks to have downpipes fabricated for anyone who needs them. I've already got two people in on it, how many more want one done?

You can get aluminized or stainless steel. Any size is possible since they're all being handmade, however it would be easier if we all got the same size. The first two are 2.5".

Who wants in?
    Current Cars
    2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
    1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
    1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
    1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

I am down 100% for the aluminized ..
    hehe but then you probably already know that
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Will it be mandrel bent? Can you give an approximate price?
      -------------------------
      '91 LX
      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Yes they will be mandrel bent with 1 o2 bung. If you need two, it's an aditional $8 or so.

I will get an approximate price once I know the number of people who are interested. It's costing me ~$400 to get my entire exhaust system done.

If everyone can let me know the following, I will give you prices as soon as I get the estimate done:

1.) Stainless or Aluminized?
        2.) No. of O2 bungs
        3.) 2.5" or 3.0"?
        Current Cars
        2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
        1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
          Yes they will be mandrel bent with 1 o2 bung. If you need two, it's an aditional $8 or so.

I will get an approximate price once I know the number of people who are interested. It's costing me ~$400 to get my entire exhaust system done.

If everyone can let me know the following, I will give you prices as soon as I get the estimate done:

1.) Stainless or Aluminized?
          2.) No. of O2 bungs
          3.) 2.5" or 3.0"?
          1.) Aluminized (may take stainless depending on price)
          2.) 1 O2 bungs .. upper and lower
          note: I will only need 1 O2 bung in the downpipe because I already have 1 in the 1st part of the manifold.
          note pic in next post.
          3.) 2.5
          Last edited by bruce95fmla; 09-22-2003, 04:57 PM.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I already have 1 O2 bung, I would just need another one further down in the downpipe for my second O2 sensor...

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I need to find out the price because I am picking up a gtr a need a nick downpipe Im not saying im in but I might be. And If I go with a stand alone like a apex do I need 1 or 2 bungs Im sorry for not knowing but I am kinda teaching myself as I go along..
              93 Protege lx (Jessi)
              Project Jessi
              Sold

88 "terd tan" ranger

quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Racing in a Honda is like racing in the special olympics, even if you win... your still retarded
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

wuts a downpipe? y change the one i already have? info pls!
                Tag Team

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
                  wuts a downpipe? y change the one i already have? info pls!
                  The downpipe is the exhaust peice bolted directly onto the turbo. The larger the diameter pipe allows the exhaust to flow out faster, therefore better.

For example, a catback wouldn't do nearly as much good as a turbo-back exhaust, there are no mismatched restrictions.
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

I'm in .....

2.5"

1 o2 bung

aluminized (or stainless - depends on price)
                    Scott
                    '94 Protege LX - gone, but not forgotten
                    '96 Volvo 854T Platinum Limited Edition
                    '98 Volvo V70 T5
                    '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

Originally posted by Roach220
                      I need to find out the price because I am picking up a gtr a need a nick downpipe Im not saying im in but I might be. And If I go with a stand alone like a apex do I need 1 or 2 bungs Im sorry for not knowing but I am kinda teaching myself as I go along..

That depends. I'm using 2 with my HALTECH because I want 1 temperature and 1 O2. O2 bung can also be used for other probes...you could put a boost sensor in there if you wanted to.
                      Current Cars

Past Mazdas

Comment

You you only need 1 o2 bung if you were to buy a 'stock' BPT?

What kind of power would you need to be making to have the 2.5" become restrictive to the point where it would make more sense to go with the 3"? I'm not talking max power it could push through there, but at what point does it become inefficient? Any guesses?
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

2.5" one o2 bung.

Stainless would be cheaper?

Can a bung be drilled later safely?

And, dish out a price :D
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                            The downpipe is the exhaust peice bolted directly onto the turbo. The larger the diameter pipe allows the exhaust to flow out faster, therefore better.

For example, a catback wouldn't do nearly as much good as a turbo-back exhaust, there are no mismatched restrictions.
                            oh, i dont have a turbo.
                            Tag Team

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                              You you only need 1 o2 bung if you were to buy a 'stock' BPT?

What kind of power would you need to be making to have the 2.5" become restrictive to the point where it would make more sense to go with the 3"? I'm not talking max power it could push through there, but at what point does it become inefficient? Any guesses?
                              I would *guess* that 2.5" would be fine up to at least 250hp, which is more than enough. A few people on here are running 3" turbo-back exhaust systems and they seem to be doing fine as well so ... .....

Depending on the price, I'm in for:

- 2.5"
                              - 1 O2 bung
                              - Stainless steel
                              '91 LX
                              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
                              X