Amp fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp fuses

hey guys, my car amplifier needs 2 25A fuses, but i can't find it at radio shack or at advance auto parts. can i use a 30A fuse? or a 20A fuse?? i dont know how fuses work so i dont wanna do anything like that until i hear from u all. thx
    Tag Team

NO!!! Don't use a bigger amp than what is supposed to be used in your amp or you can fry it!! I have seen PC boards inside of the amps practically melted away. One amp kept blowing fuses, so I sent it to the manufacturer under warr. The customer forgot to take the fuse out, as it was a bigger one than what it is supposed to use. It voided his warranty right off the bat. You can use a smaller one, but you may blow the fuse quickly. I would try to look for the 25 amp one as much as you can. Someone in town should have it.

Just don't use a bigger fuse whatever you do!
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

try walmart upping the amperage size will only pose a problem, IF there is a short, and it gets a power surge. a lot of amps now don't even come with fuses. if a fuse actually limited the power input on the amp, you'd fry them all the time. they are only a fail safe in case there is a short. misterT, as far as a fried circuit board, that had to be from a power surge, or running a higher amp fuse, and too low of ohm rating, or low voltage. low voltage is one of the biggest destroyers in all car audio components. amps overheat from low voltage, and get terribly inefficient, from using so much power to generate the heat. low voltage into an amp causes low voltage out of the amp, and heats up the VC on subs, and is one of the biggest causes of seized subs

Comment

all good i found some thx guys
        Tag Team

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          misterT, as far as a fried circuit board, that had to be from a power surge, or running a higher amp fuse, and too low of ohm rating, or low voltage.
          EIther that or they hooked the power wires up before having the thing grounded!! The smell of burnt wires is something you cannot forget, much like burning hair. The worse I have ever seen was the Kenwood amp I think I told you about. You could see where flames went out where the fuse was and the paint was warped on top. Inside the PC board was literally warped. The guy wanted it fix as it was a badass amp at the time (KAC-1021). We warned him of shipping it out and them not looking at it, but he insisted on paying the shipping charges and they turned it back around with a note saying "ARE YOU CRAZY?!" I just about rolled on the ground with tears streaming down my cheeks, I was laughing so hard Not to scare you from installing your amp JPro
          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
          Groundkit

Comment

all good. i started another thread on tweaking cause im done installing
            Tag Team

Comment

Working...
            X