tune up: kia bp vs pro bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tune up: kia bp vs pro bp

all right here's the deal. i'm trying to buy some tune-up items all at once so i can refresh this motor i have lying around.lol

these parts i've listed here are compatable(kia bp & pro bp):

pcv valve disty rotor timing belt kit ngk wires/plugs oil filter

valve cover gasket disty cap

the parts that are strictly for the protege:

fuel filter radiator hoses

parts i'm not sure on compatablity:

thermostat thermostat gasket/seal water pump water pump gasket

cam seals

if anyone knows of any corrections or any other info pertinent to the topic, feel free to correct or add-on to this list. ocd-speed where are you?????

thanks guys, i hope this info helps get the ball rolling on future swaps or just "fyi".
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

kia bp & pro bp are the same motors,but KIA has higher compression pistons.
    When I bought my cam seals and ignition seal.
    I had to buy it KIA because it was way cheaper. I payed twenty four dollars.
    Mazda was more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by 323Foreword
      kia bp & pro bp are the same motors,but KIA has higher compression pistons.
      When I bought my cam seals and ignition seal.
      I had to buy it KIA because it was way cheaper. I payed twenty four dollars.
      Mazda was more expensive.
      Higher compression pistons? Can you be more specific? We're looking for detail here.

Personally, I've found Kia stuff to be more expensive.

A good way to compare parts interchange...go to http://alloemautoparts.com/
      open one browser window with Protege sleected and another with Kia. Drill down to the exact part you're looking for and compare the two. There are some differences I saw looking briefly(camshaft seal)

Comment

Originally posted by davens
        Higher compression pistons? Can you be more specific? We're looking for detail here.

Personally, I've found Kia stuff to be more expensive.

A good way to compare parts interchange...go to http://alloemautoparts.com/
        open one browser window with Protege sleected and another with Kia. Drill down to the exact part you're looking for and compare the two. There are some differences I saw looking briefly(camshaft seal)
        I guess where I'm from the pricing is different Mazda BP is way more expensive then KIA BP parts are priced cheaper because there made Korea. I freaked out when I went to buy my seals they told me Kia or Mazda.

Your right some things are different........

Kia Cam Follower IN STOCK $23.30 $22.99

Mazda Cam Follower IN STOCK $36.63 $21.99

Kia Camshaft Seal IN STOCK $15.20 $14.99

Mazda Camshaft Seal IN STOCK $8.13 $7.96

The '94-3/95 pistons were factory rated at 9.0:1 but actually was around 8.8.
        94 vs 96 piston
        http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html this is the site
        Last edited by 323Foreword; 07-02-2004, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Um i have a Kia BP in my protege... Everything to do with the motor is the same...I mean internals and electronics.. alternator and power steering pump may be diffrent but other than that just about everything. Kia parts are far cheaper, ive learned that real quick buying my parts. Also, the kia engine does not have higher compression pistons...sorry.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh by the way, im talking about 95-98 BP's the first gen engines may be diffrent.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
              Um i have a Kia BP in my protege... Everything to do with the motor is the same...I mean internals and electronics.. alternator and power steering pump may be diffrent but other than that just about everything. Kia parts are far cheaper, ive learned that real quick buying my parts. Also, the kia engine does not have higher compression pistons...sorry.
              okay to clarify things even more. the 95-98 protege and 95-97(i think the 94's are different) share the same water pump, h20 pump gasket, and thermostat?

that's what im confused about. thanks for any help.
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
              Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

do both 1.8l's have vics?

Comment

Originally posted by khrys771
                  do both 1.8l's have vics?
                  yes

the Kia BP and 2nd gen BP have the same VICS manifold - its larger than the 1st gen's manifold

goto 1st gen Engine/Drivetrain and click on the 3rd page of the 'DYNO of intake manifolds' sticky thread for pics of the differences.
                  Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Working...
                  X