Rpms jumping-seems electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rpms jumping-seems electrical

My Rpms jump whenever i turn on the lights, roll down windows or when my amp cuts out (every 5 minutes) Id say my altinator is on its way out, I have really ****ty power issues but Im thinking it could just be the wiring. Anyone notice this type of thing before- when my last altenator went in my first gen it just died right away.....

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

go have your battery load tested. if your car keeps running, your alt should be fine. if your battery isn't holding much of a charge, then when you do those things, your engine increases rpm's a little due to the added strain from the alt trying to put out full current.

Comment

^ ^ ^ ^
      NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
        go have your battery load tested. if your car keeps running, your alt should be fine. if your battery isn't holding much of a charge, then when you do those things, your engine increases rpm's a little due to the added strain from the alt trying to put out full current.

ok i will try a new one today, i must have got a bad battery cause I just replaced it like 3 months ago. anything else that could be causing a lame charge?

Comment

Originally posted by Protege108th
          ok i will try a new one today, i must have got a bad battery cause I just replaced it like 3 months ago. anything else that could be causing a lame charge?

something could be drawing a ton of current, like an amp that is defective. there are a few things it could be, but the battery is the place to start. have that checked. and if you replaced your battery 3 months ago, you might want to have your charging system checked. also check to see if anything is drawing current with the car off. you'll need an ammeter for that. i had an amp go bad, and it would draw several amps all the time. doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to kill batteries.

Comment

something could be drawing a ton of current, like an amp that is defective. there are a few things it could be, but the battery is the place to start. have that checked. and if you replaced your battery 3 months ago, you might want to have your charging system checked. also check to see if anything is drawing current with the car off. you'll need an ammeter for that. i had an amp go bad, and it would draw several amps all the time. doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to kill batteries.
            yea, i thought my amp might be bad so i took it out and its still not charging. unfortunetly i misplaced my wallet so i wasnt able to try a new battery today. I will keep you guys posted though.

Comment

yea, i thought my amp might be bad so i took it out and its still not charging. unfortunetly i misplaced my wallet so i wasnt able to try a new battery today. I will keep you guys posted though.

you don't need to try a new battery, you need to have your battery load tested for free

Comment

you don't need to try a new battery, you need to have your battery load tested for free
                Well if i run up to a garage i dont want to find out it is the baterry and then not have my wallet. =P and today its raining out... pouring really =( bah!!

Comment

My Rpms jump whenever i turn on the lights, roll down windows or when my amp cuts out (every 5 minutes) Id say my altinator is on its way out, I have really ****ty power issues but Im thinking it could just be the wiring. Anyone notice this type of thing before- when my last altenator went in my first gen it just died right away.....
                  If you have new altenator and battery, check out connector by the altenator have power (one wire should have hot (+) all time and another wire hot with key on).
                  or altenator have bad connection "lose").

Comment

I was a bout to say it could be your TPS is loose or broke but idle does jump especially when you turn on AC headlights heat etc its normal to some degree
                    Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

Comment

oh yeah i didnt ask but how far does your RPM jump lol?
                      Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Protege
                        I was a bout to say it could be your TPS is loose or broke but idle does jump especially when you turn on AC headlights heat etc its normal to some degree

i was more worried that his amp was cutting out. that is usually a sign of low voltage.

Comment

DO YOU NEED ALTENATER CHARGING SYSTEM "WIRE DIAGRAM"? IT MAYBE HELP.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmichael
                            DO YOU NEED ALTENATER CHARGING SYSTEM "WIRE DIAGRAM"? IT MAYBE HELP.
                            Yes, yes i do..

heh I went to the dealership to check the price for a new wire.... bam 1600$, because they only sell the whole kit. so does anyone know what gauge/materials i would need to run a new wire. maybe even what the wire is called so i could search it?

Comment

my honda used to do this, then the efi light came on.....i replaced the ecu and both problems were resolved.
                              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X