Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacesetter Exhaust?

Greetings All, my first post.

I have a '92 LX with 161k, and the original exhaust is finally corroding('cept for the cat, replaced it 5 years ago). There is a small hole developing just aft of the last flange(?) before the muffler, so I'm assuming that would require a bolt-on replacement. (Bosal?)
    BUT--I see that NOPI offers an attractively priced, cat-back 2.25" system by Pacesetter. Does it suck? I've been searching message boards, someone mentioned a problem with rust. My main concern is NOISE. I'd love a few extra hp, but not at the expense of a blatty sounding exhaust note.

TIA for any advice.
    J. Scott Thomas

PS--any recommendations on a cat-back?
    Last edited by CerealkillerJST; 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM.

The pacesetter is 2.5" IIRC.

Do not get it, you'll be throwing your money away. It WILL rust, and you WILL be replacing it later. I've never heard it personally but supposedly it sounds kinda raspy.
    Current Cars
    2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
    1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
    1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
    1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
      The pacesetter is 2.5" IIRC.

No, its 2.25".
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Ah ok. Well 2.25" is still a lil big for a 4 cyl. I'd recommend 2" at most, 2.25" w/o mandrel bends.
        Current Cars
        2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
        1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road

Comment

man not to be rude but 2.25 is perfectly fine for an n/a motor. 2" is what comes stock, so why bother getting an exhaust system if its just gonna be the same size? it's the muffler that sounds raspy, and thats easy to change obviously. and how come on your sig. it says 2.5" exhaust, and your running a turbo? you dont want back-pressure on a turbo. do you like small exhaust systems?
          James G.
          sobe83@yahoo.com
          AIM: DVS 323BPT
          MySpace
          Cardomain
          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

2" didn't come stock on my car....
            Current Cars

Past Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by limpgtx
              you dont want back-pressure on a turbo. do you like small exhaust systems?

Mandrel bent + 4 cyliders. 2.5" is fine for under 1 atmosphere of boost.
              Current Cars

Past Mazdas

Comment

what our NOW turbo fed friend forgot to say, our car CAME with what measures out to be dual walled exhaust piping, 1 3/4 inch inner piping and 1 7/8th inch piping sheathed on the outside of that to disseapate heat, reduce noise and improver overall operation of the exhaust. it's been talked widely about, both jesse and daryl have proclaimed the benefit of 2 inch exhaust, i wouldn't shy to say itzcatz would be too far off from that. i have had the pleasure of hearing a pacesetter cat-back pipping with a brospeed turbo muffler in the back instead.. and while piping has a lot to do with the sounds you'll get out of your exhaust, the muffler is just as important. the pacesetter exhaust on festivasrule (wil)'s car rusted right at the muffler if i am correct, so he just had the turbo muffler put on there, i forget. and also take into consideration, how much snow do you actually get through out the year? is salt ever a concern? those would be some considering factors? but IMHO, you can get a BETTER 2 inch mandrel bent exhaust, slap on a high flow res (for lack of a better term) and kill the stock one located inline of the muffler and the cat, you should be fine, won't be too incredibly loud, and depending on your muffler, could be soft and low, or loud and raspy. i don't know, just read the reposts on back pressure AGAIN, and make sure you understand why people recommend the 2 inch. general rule of thumb, 2 inch is ideal, 2 1/4 is alright, 2.5 is more for turbo setup running stock level's of boost, up to 3 inch for heavily boosted BP's. am i right?
                peace
                p.s. 2 inch mandrel cat back piping does me just fine limp

Comment

I had a pacesetter exhaust, it lasted 4 months before the muffler rusted out. About a year later, the exhaust tubing rusted so bad, that 2 holes appeared, at which point, i replaced the entire exhuast.

And FYI, our exhaust tubing is 2" outside diameter, which is about 1.875 or so, inside diameter.

If you live in a non-salty area, pacesetter is a bargain! but it does sound pretty ****ty and raspy, but it isn't horrible.
                  93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                  02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                  05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

My experience - they do rust...

Went through 2 or 3 Pacesetter cat-backs on my old MX6. They rust out in the salt belt after a couple years. However, they were real cheap. They did have a somewhat loud drone, at least on the MX6 2.2l.
                    2002 P5 5spd

Comment

is there any way to rust proof it?
                      '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

a coat of heat resistant paint?? sometimes that can help a little, aside from that, i don't think rubberized undercoating can survive the temperatures that radiate off of the exhaust... if painted directly on the pipe. depends, never have picked up a good quality can of that stuff to know. and all technicalities aside, is not the ideal size 2 inch? i mean there is an entire post on back pressure backing it... or is that complete bull?
                        peace

Comment

just go with the pacesetter exhaust and get a muffler that youll like. yah youll have less torque, but who cares? you gonna be towing stuff anytime soon? i always thought you wanted horsepower over torque when you race? if you dont race then just get a cheap meineke job for $80. the 2.25" will just benefit you more if you were to do more motor work, if you dont plan on doing more motor work then dont go so big. just paint the piping that way it wont rust.
                          James G.
                          sobe83@yahoo.com
                          MySpace
                          Cardomain
                          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

heh, interesting thing, axle back with flowmaster40 muffler, 190 dollars.. so even so, menieke is going to charge you out of your ass for each portion of the exhaust you open up. i got raped, but full cat-back, w/ 50 to 100 dollar muffler should run 250 to 400 depending on where you go... thats the going rate around my area anyhow.
                            peace

Comment

daaaaaaamn, $400 for a meinke job. lmfao, you got some crooked losers working there then.
                              James G.
                              sobe83@yahoo.com
                              MySpace
                              Cardomain
                              <BR>

Comment

Working...
                              X