Help!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!?!?

MY 92 LX is having problems. I hit the curb w/ my right front wheel on a wide turn and since then it has made a crunching noise when braking from the right front and it has had vibration at speeds of 65 and higher that seem to lessen when accelerating. Also my turn signal now turns on whenever I turn the steering wheel (this is new) I had the tires changed shortly afterwards and all problems went away..then came back 2-3 days later. I took it to the shop and they said the CV axle was bad. I disagreed becouse there was no clicking sound during turns, only the crunching sound when it stopped. They finnaly convinced me and changed the CV axle. Again everything drove well and then 2-3 days later the problem was back. I took it back and the guy said that the front right brake was sticking and had it replaced. Again all problems gone for 2-3 days. My wife took the car into SEARS and the SEARS mechanic said that it was the front right brake and replaced it! I went in to complain and the guy said that the brake the other guy installed was of low quality and that the reason the cAR WAS SHACKING WAS BECOUSE THE brakes had not been lubed properly on the install at the other shop. I argued that there was somthing else wrong w/ my car and the guy said that my car was not making the noise now or vibrating and that therefore it was fixed. guess what!! two days later all problems returned. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?? I'm sick of spending money and not having it fixed, if I can't figure it out soon I am going to have to sell the car....grrrrrrrr
    Last edited by Airborne!; 07-03-2004, 11:51 PM. Reason: missing words
    Big Dreams, Small Budget!

I really need some help here. CV shaft has allready been replaced and the front right brake has been replaced twice!! I'm renting a streeing wheel puller tool today and seeing if any of the vibration is in the streeing wheel coloumn is due to the turn signals being currently slaved to the steering wheel. I'm thinking about getting an alghinment done but would that explain the crunching noise when I hit the brakes at low speeds? I've thought about the whell bearings too, but arn't they supposed to make a high pitch whine? If the wheel was damaged could it be fixed or would I need to buy new wheels?Any help would be greatly appreciated. Protoss? Anyone?

Comment

have you had the wheel checked to see if it's bent??

93' 5spd DX
      R.I.P

Comment

when I had the tires changed I hinted but didn't ask. I need to go in for a rotation soon anyway..I'll make sure they do it then.

Comment

Yah I would say bent rim, maybe the weight to balance the wheel fell off? Maybe you bent your rack and pinion? Why would u rent a steering wheel puller? The nut to take it off is a 19mm and all u do is yank it off. Anyways, maybe you by hitting the curb you pushed the toe in on that wheel, so now u got one wheel strait and other curved in?
          James G.
          sobe83@yahoo.com
          AIM: DVS 323BPT
          MySpace
          Cardomain
          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

After tagging a curb like that, you should find a mechanic that you trust (or a family member/friend recommends) and have him check the side that got hit very closely. (the complete suspension on that side)

Depending on how hard you hit, the rim could be bent, the sway bar link may have gotten tweeked, the tie rod, the LCA, etc... and i can almost bet 100% that the alignment is off.

Comment

hmmm I swear my spelling gets worse every time I pull up this thread....I think I am going to start w/ the rim and that area of the car. I was going to rent a wheel puller becouse the HANES manual said I needed one. I hope I find the problem this time.. I'm not going to be willing to keep the car if I get told that it is fixed when in fact it isn't again . Thanx for the help guys.

Comment

SO I romove the steering wheel to fix the turn signal problem (and I didn't need the wheel puller..who knew??) and while I failed to fix that problem I know have serious reduced vibration in the streeing wheel at 65+ mph. In fact it is so reduced that I don't think the vibrtion in my car at 65+ is a major problem anymore. $700 to mechanics fix nothing and a complete car novice w/ so metric wrenches and screwdrivers poking around makes a major differance. grrrr. Can't wait to have a garage again so that I can do major troubleshooting on my own.

Comment

Working...
                X