Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14"or 15" Winter rims? - 5 bolt

Hi,
    I'm considering getting winter rims for my '01 Protege ES/2.0. My questions are:

1. Do I have to worry about offsets when purchasing a standard winter steel rim?
    2. Should I go for 14" or 15" ?

stock size is 195/50-R16
    stock rim 5 bolt pattern (I forget the bolt spacing)

15" winter rim size 195/55-R15
    14" winter rim size 185/65-R14

Any other recommended size?

Thanks,
    Larry

with a 15x6.5 you could get away with a 205/55R15 tire, I think the michelin alpin comes in that size (I have them in 185/65R14, they're a good snow tire). With a 14" wheel you could fit a 195 tire, but I'm not sure if there are any snow tires in that size, as I have not looked. Personally I would recommend the 15 w/ a 205 tire.

Comment

you know i was told that for a winter tire, typically a snow tire you want a narrower tire.. to cut through the snow
      00 dakota 4x4
      90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

eh, it's a trade off, and the difference between 195 and 205 is pretty small, I'm not sure that the width will hurt the snow performace or not. I defer to someone more knowledgeable, lol.

Comment

I would suggest you go with 15" but try to get used aluminum OEM wheels in 15x6" size rather than steelies. They will look much better, be lighter and may not be much more expensive at all. I use 95-96 Millenia rims on my 2003 Protege ES (for autocrossing/track events but they'd be great for snows) which I found on www.car-part.com for $35 each, including shipping. They weigh 11 pounds each and are a nice looking, 9-spoke design. Other lightweight OEM rims which fit 5 bolt proteges are listed on:

Comment

Working...
          X