Linksys Wireless Router Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys Wireless Router Help

I just got a Linksys Wireless Router to share my broadband internet connection today. I'm enjoying it very much but I'm new to this router stuff. I need a little help with AIM. Now that I have the router up and running, I can't open a Direct Connection in AOL Instant Messenger. I've played around with the Proxy settings for a bit but I don't know if I'm configuring it correctly.

I'm running Win2K on my IBM Thinkpad laptop (64MB RAM, PII400) and Windows XP on my Compaq Presario (384MB RAM, PIII550) desktop.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

my friend has the same problem. u gotta fux with the hardware firewall that is in the router to let aim use a port.

try disabling the firewall altogether, im sure that if you do then direct connect will work. im not sure what port aim uses so i cant help much more than what i've stated.
    Tag Team

Comment

Find out what port AIM is talking on, then go into the firewall settings and open that port.
      '02 Black Protege5
      '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

Here's a good thread on the problem, has a few solutions:

I ordered a wireless router from officedepot.com, was supposed to be here the 19th and it's STILL not ****ing here... I'm ready to flip ****, I'm going to lose the rebates soon!!!! ****ing assholes!

[edit]
        Short version: Looks like direct connect is port 4443 and file sharing is port 5190... Lemme know if it works!
        Last edited by funkdaddysmack; 09-23-2003, 07:50 AM.
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
          ...try disabling the firewall altogether, im sure that if you do then direct connect will work. im not sure what port aim uses so i cant help much more than what i've stated.
          Hey, don't disable the firewall or other security settings, as you will be leaving yourself open to mischief. Only open ports you really need, and be sure that you have an up-to-date security product (Norton, McAfee, etc.).

Good luck!
          2002 P5 5spd

Comment

On the Linksys routers you need to get the latest firmware revision... It will allow you to do DMZ hosting, and all sorts of other "fun" stuff.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

I had that problem with my D-Link router, but I changed the port settings. I forgot what the heck I used though.. I would have to look ... I did a search on yahoo and google for aol port settings.
              I however still can't get my pc's to connect and network.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

mmmm i love my wireless linksys
                1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac Turbo
                2002 Mazda Protege5

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone; I will try all the suggestions. Well, I will when I get my laptop working again. The hard drive started making funny noises so I think it died. Oh well....
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

DUDE! I had the SAME problem, and I think it's primarily a Linksys problem too.. Although other brands could do this. Here's how you fix it. It is kind of a pain to do it all the time, but it works like a charm for me EVERY TIME.
                    Do this right before you connect or decide to send a file. If you're sending a file, do it each time you send one, and only you can send.. It won't recieve this way, don't know why.. Same thing, you have to initiate the connection for direct connect. Not the other way around.

1.) Open up Windows NetMeeting. Normally it's in Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > NetMeeting

2.) Type in any random IP address and click the phone icon (Call). ex. 104.101.1.1 or 106.104.1.1

3.) Click cancel when the box pops up that's trying to make a connection.

4.) Direct connect in AIM

If the other person needs to send a file to you, you can do it through direct connect. You just go as you would to put an image in, but put any file in there.. they can right click and save as once it's transferred, but you can't type anything to them while it's transferring.

Works like a charm for me every time. I tried all the other things, port forwarding, setting myself in DMZ, etc etc.. Didn't work. I was amazed that something this simple worked so well.

EDIT: i flashed the firmware in my router too.. didn't do anything. that little nifty trick worked the first time though. You have about a 30 second window after you do the Netmeeting thing though, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X