Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volkswagen Type 3 Turbo

Yes, its true. My 1969 Volkswagen Type 3 will be turboed this summer :D yay

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

How much power are you expecting out of this poor little car?

Comment

Enough to spin those rear tires and go drifting :D It came stock with around 40 hp I'm hoping to push 140 :D

I'm also putting in New crank, lifters, valves, rods, pistons, heads, injectors, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, turbo (of course), and my cold air intake (theres more but its early ). I'm also replacing the automatic transmission with a manual, and pulling out the stops on extra weight in the car. I've probably already pulled 300 lbs of parts that will not be going back on the car off, including the (100 pound stock exaust system!) and there is still more to go. :D good stuff

"The only thing worse than bad memories, is no memories at all" - The Dismemberment Plan

Comment

Where did you get color-matched mirrors for your Protege? lol

Was the VW originally fuel injection or are you making it that way?
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I painted them Although the paint isnt the greatest (it only looks good in pictures and from a distance) The VW was actually FI, one of the first cars in the US with FI (excluding porsche and mercedes) I've been told that VW was trying to reach a more sophisticated market with the type 3, thats why it had add ons like Automatic transmission, FI and more cargo space (than bugs) :D

Comment

Can't wait to see this project complete, keep us updated.
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

You can view pics at http://photos.type3talk.com under user galleries and "Matt" I'll post a direct link below.

Just an update: I just purchased a brand spanking new engine (all that may not be new is the cooling tin, ignition system and intake system (injectors). If i decide to save money and not buy that stuff new.

Heres some of the nicer parts that come with my kit, Its a brand new engine I just have to build it

Aluminum crank case (to replace the forged steel million pound stock one
              one piece Chromoloy Counterweighted crankshaft
              Balanced, ported and polished pistons and cylanders (these suckers are big the balancing porting and polishing adds 75 cc's)
              280 Degree camshaft
              BIG valve dual port cylander heads
              External Oil cooler (This VW is air cooled, no radiator so we cool the oil instead)
              preformance exaust headers
              Stinger pipe mmm noisy

Heres the stats: its a 1700 lb car stock. With aftermarket exaust headers and the aluminum crank shaft I drop about 200 lbs, body modifications (aluminum floor pans, aluminum bolt kits, racing seats, no rear bench, lighter starter and generator (alternator), lighter wheels etc.. etc..) I drop another 300 lbs. which brings my total weight to around 1200 lbs. Then add me and my girl throw another fewpounds on it. With an engine that will crank near 120 hp and a turbo this thing will burn up the street (I plan on running the turbo at 10 psi). Ohh one other thing. This engine pushes so much more power than the stock 36 hp engine that I have to strengthen the pan and body or it could buckle under all the extra pressure... should be interesting.

Link to picture gallery: http://photos.type3talk.com/index.php?cat=10002
              Link to what I plan the car to look like when complete: http://type3talk.com/images/cars/1.jpg
              Last edited by mattbeekler; 07-14-2004, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Sounds sweet... make some videos of it when you're done. I wanna see people's faces if you beat them.

Comment

wow, that's quite an agressive project you have going on there...
                  'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                  -Dean
                  2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                  18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                  Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                  MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                  Injen CAI - Polished
                  Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                  DaveB trim rings
                  Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                  Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                  Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                  Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                  Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                  Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                  Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                  Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweet
                    wow, that's quite an agressive project you have going on there...
                    No kidding.
                    ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

I had to drop the turbo If i wanted it I'd have to buy a new $2000 injection system (ouch) so I'm just going dual weber carbs.. should run about 12-13's quarter mile still (beats my protege by alot ) I also have a turbo for sale that could be made to fit in a protege for someone willing to dive into a project like that. (if noone buys it it WILL be going on my protege once the VW is done

Comment

I could just imagine the engine jumping out of the car. Like in that one commercial...
                        ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                        X