Switched Engine Oil from Mineral to Synthetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switched Engine Oil from Mineral to Synthetic

I used Red Line oil (SAE 10W-30 as specified in the FSM). Red Line is one of the "true" synthetic oils and is readily available at a performance shop near my house. It cost me US $7.50/qt and comes in a container that allows pouring directly into the engine without a funnel. For more information on this topic, check out this post by TheMAN:
    www2.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32904&page=2&highlight=mobil+horse**** (post #24)

TheMAN points out that the FEDS allow an oil to be called synthetic even if it has some organic content. True synthetics, like Red Line, use Ester base stocks only, while Mobil 1 and Amsoil use PAO base stocks which are derived from mineral oils in the production process.

The beneficial characteristics of synthetic oils have been well-documented so I won't repeat them here. My own experience after the changeover was that the engine idled slightly more quietly and revved more smoothly throughout the RPM range. I also felt that acceleration was improved and the engine generally felt more responsive. This is to be expected since synthetic oil, by reducing internal engine friction, produces an increase in BHP in comparison with mineral oil.

Indicated HP (IHP) - HP used to overcome internal engine friction (also known as Friction HP) = BHP (aka crank HP or SAE net HP). How much the HP is increased and how noticeable it will be is another matter entirely. However, every little bit helps.

I used the std OEM oil filter since I had one available. Next time, I'll switch to the larger 6 cylinder OEM filter. According to the FSM, oil and filter replacement requires 3.7 qts. I put in 3 qts of oil and then used a glass measuring cup to add an additional 23 oz (.7 qt = 22.4 oz). This brought the level right up to the mark on the first attempt.

With all the advantages of synthetic oil, performance and otherwise, I think its use ought to be considered for our engines.
    Last edited by goldstar; 07-10-2004, 10:48 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Good write up. I want to try Redline, but I cringe every time I see the price of the oil. For now, I'll stick with my "crappy" Mobil 1.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thanks NegatiZE.

I don't know why the link in post #1 doesn't work but if you want to access the thread that contains TheMAN's post mentioned above, go to:
      Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

Then go to Advanced Search and type in: Mobil One Horse****
      That should do it.

02 DX Millenium Red
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
      X