clutch chatter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch chatter?

I've never actually heard a "chattering" clutch before so I wouldn't really know what it sounds like myself, but when I'm accelerating and press the clutch pedal I can hear a rattling noise similar to......... Those little ****in metal things on the side of a tambourine. Yeah I know but thats the best way I can describe the noise. Is this "Clutch chatter"? It seems most pronounced shifting from first to second, and I only hear it on occasion, sometimes I'll hear it several times in a row (in stop and go traffic for example) sometimes I'll only hear it once.
    Shifting from second to third, I hear it once in a while, but not all the time, certainly not as much as I do shifting from first to second.
    3-4 and 4-5 shifting, I don't ever recall hearing it at all. but I could just not be listening hard enough.
    Is clutch chatter an early warning sign for a clutch that is living on borrowed time??
    I'm pretty goddam sure that its the original clutch if so, it has almost 230,000KM on it.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Yeah, I know, its not slipping..........yet.
    I know how to check for that, you get it n like 5th gear doing 50kmh (~30mph) and floor it
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
      Yeah, I know, its not slipping..........yet.
      I know how to check for that, you get it n like 5th gear doing 50kmh (~30mph) and floor it

What most people will do is be stopped put the ebrake on and get in 5th gear and slowly let out the clutch and give gas..It should stall right away if teh clutch is good

Comment

Working...
      X