painting calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting calipers

Im at a crossroads about the color of caliper paint I should get. I have an emerald green mica Protege and its going to have silver graphics along the sides. Should I paint the calipers a silver color to go along with the graphics and hypersilver of my wheels or paint them a shade of green to go with my underbody color theme?? Im leaning more for the silver since I won't have the underbody kit on more than 90% of the time, except at night. But I want to get your opinions as a critique. Also, how difficult is it to paint the rear drums as well?

i never painted drums before since my lx is m4d 1337 and has 4 wheel disc, but i think it's easier than painting calipers because you just pretty much paint the entire outer "canister" of the brake assembly.

anyway as far as colors, i dont really like toning the calipers with the color of the car and since your 2nd color is silver, i would initially suggest that. the problem is, that it isn't much of a change from the color they are now is it? you would know better than i but that would be my concern.

you could opt for a 3rd color for your brakes, but that might end up looking out of place. like i said though, im not into toning the brakes the same color as the car; i've seen it on a bunch of cars and it doesn't look bad by any means, i just don't think it loooks as "cool"
    Tag Team

Comment

Thing is, I just wanted to paint the calipers green because of the color theme I have going on with the LEDs and neons. But Im not too sure how the green calipers/drums would look behind hypersilver wheels and in front of slotted rotors. I think the silver would be a nice contrast to the darker green of the car. Thanks for your .02 though. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by JProtege
      i never painted drums before since my lx is m4d 1337 and has 4 wheel disc, but i think it's easier than painting calipers because you just pretty much paint the entire outer "canister" of the brake assembly.

anyway as far as colors, i dont really like toning the calipers with the color of the car and since your 2nd color is silver, i would initially suggest that. the problem is, that it isn't much of a change from the color they are now is it? you would know better than i but that would be my concern.

you could opt for a 3rd color for your brakes, but that might end up looking out of place. like i said though, im not into toning the brakes the same color as the car; i've seen it on a bunch of cars and it doesn't look bad by any means, i just don't think it loooks as "cool"

Comment

red usually doesn't look bad, corvettes and porsches have red (or yellow in the case of some porsches) calipers stock, regardless of color, and since silver is a pretty neutral color, I think it would still look good

Comment

green and red are way too festive..

you should stay with green or go silver.. just stay on track with one of your colour schemes..
          Malcolm, up around here, has his painted green with his green 3rd gen... it's nice.. matches well with his gold/green theme (gold rims, gold vinyls, etc...)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
          RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

lol, merry christmas!
            Tag Team

Comment

Gunmetal!
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

kameleon, no how about glow in the dark?
                <-why i can't fix my car

http://www.revtvguam.com
                AFwestPunk's AutoJam Imagestation photo album! You better have High speed internet!

Comment

My car is silver and we painted mine Blue.....I think if i was you i would go with silver. Kinda hard in your situation.....but just do what you want to do and what you like thats all that matters since its your ride....just dont look like its Christmas!!!!
                  "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

If you paint them silver, no one will notice it! Most people paint them red to match Brembo Brakes look! Just my opinion.

Comment

We Wish you a Merry Christmas...hahahahahahah
                      "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

You mean paint my calipers gunmetal? How would I go bout that?

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                        Gunmetal!

Comment

I was going to ask Roddimus (over on Protegeclub.com) to powercoat mine a neon green. But I can't afford to order the new set of calipers and wait for them to get coated and shipped. I suppose silver would be the next logical choice.

Originally posted by AFwestPunk
                          kameleon, no how about glow in the dark?

Comment

paint them bronze and paint brembo on you calipers.
                            thats the only real way to be cool.
                            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

How bout paint them silver and have Brembo painted in black? Or maybe green?

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
                              paint them bronze and paint brembo on you calipers.
                              thats the only real way to be cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X