Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sorry to reopen the topic of interior paint.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to reopen the topic of interior paint.....

ok i searched around the forums looking for the best type of paint to use for the interior... saw some people swearing that SEM was the best etc...
    im not really looking to pay 10 bucks a can but i need something decent....

possibly krylon fusion?
    any other middle of the run paints that will stick decent?

DO NOT USE KRYLON FUSION.... i redid my interior and was told to use that and I did everything by the book and the damn stuff is always tacky....I took it off...... Use Dupli-Color interior paint, it runs about 4-6$ a can and then get the clear coat that they make. Sand first, then about 2-3 good coats of paint (no primer needed) and at least 1 coat of clear if not 2. This paint worked very well on the plastic and also the vynal. And the best part is you can basically get it anywhere. I have pics if your interested in results.

Comment

go ahead and post some pics id like to see.

whered you get the dupli color at?

Comment

autozone, I believe I saw it at walmart the other day...the duplicolor does a great job, I used the black to recolor my fading interior and it looks great, I am fixing to try the red on the fabric peice of my LX door panels...

DaPro
        94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
        (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

I am also a Dupli-Color user and I'd recommend it also. I think the stuff is called Duplicolor auto spray.

I'm touching up my interior and it looks good.

You can get the cans at autozone, advanceautoparts and places similar to them.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Yea you can find it just about anywhere.

(I did do the airbag now- it is silver)

Comment

Yesterday I just did the fabric black on my door panels. I used VHT spray. I dont have any idea how well the duplicolor paint will work but you might want to look into the duplicolor dye. Someone on here used it with good results. Let us know if it works. One thing to do though when you spray the fabric, get like an old brush or an old tooth brush because when you spray it you will need do it in two directions. so take the brush and brush it the other direction to get everything.

Comment

well i did my some of my center councel ( sp) in white duplicolor, and it turned out like **** .. (but then again i did it in Cold weather, didnt sand or use primer or clear.. didnt even clean it first) hahaha , but then i sanded it down and used this clear primer stuff at walmart its suposed 2 make the piant stick better 2 everything or something, did like 4layers of the duplicolor auto stuff.( black) and then did like 3 layers of clear and it looks really good, havent had probs yet.. and i also did one of my doors( havent gotten 2 the rest of them yet)

Last edited by Chad; 07-13-2004, 03:05 PM.

Comment

im removing the carpet on the door panels and getting the glue residue off...
                  dont like the idea of painted carpet.

Comment

i didnt remove the carpet on the panels, I taped it off very well, it almost took me more time in preping then anything else.

And you need to make sure it is clean *cough*chad*cough* , sanded (lightly) and then aplied evenly and also in at least about 70 degrees <---- thats about the same for most spray products. And clear coat is a good choice.

Comment

Its too bad you guys dont have access to paint guns:
                      Here mine...

And my buddy's sunfire that we did...

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                      1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                      Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

damn thats some good ass interior. i tried today and all i painted was the ash tray cover. and its been sitting in my garage. im pretty sure im not a good painter now.

Comment

Ok im not going to argue the difference of 4-6 dollars. If one can is 5.99 and another can is 9.99 and they basically do they same thing I would save myself a few dollars. Dont know bout you guys though.

And you know there isnt anything less then about 4.99 a can.

Comment

Psycotic also said "possibly krylon fusion?
                            any other middle of the run paints that will stick decent?"

hmmmmmm duplicolor sticks decent.... and it is a middle of the run paint- and it is cheaper.

Comment

got paid yesterday. bought some duplicolor fusion earlier today and sprayed the back door panels it seems to be working good id say duplicolor is a safe bet

how much do you think the clear coat would add to the effect?

Comment

Working...
                              X