claybar before detailing with polisher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

claybar before detailing with polisher?

One of my friends today tole me that if I want to detail out my car and use a polisher with the 3M line of products that I would get the best resluts if I did the claybar on the car first.

i was quick to think otherwise since the first step of the 3M line is the cutter which would take everything off just as good as a claybar wouldn't it?

the first step in the line of products I think is "3M™ Perfect-It™ II Rubbing Compound - Fine Cut (liquid 39002 or paste 39502)"

would that work as well or better than the claybar? I just don't want to do extra work and spend extra money if I don't have to.

the guy at napa told me to use this with some special pad and the buffer that they had. 2nd step is a swirl remover compound and pad, 3rd step is the liquid wax and special pad again. All in all it would have been like $150 to get all the stuff to completely do my car. He said I could do 3-4 cars my size with the stuff I would buy. Is that a good deal? does anyone have any better suggestions for products/ buffers, or anything else?

Thanks!
    Coming soon...
    http://www.jonkinney.com/protegeES

thats the same process i use at work. works good just watch those edges they can burn through really fast. the clay bar isn't necessary its just to take off overspray and stuff. all the will come off with the rubbing compound, also after the compound and swirl mark remover wash it. then wax it by hand really good

Comment

Clay bars are used to remove embedded contaminants in the paint. The polish will NOT do the same job as the clay. The clay PULLS out the contaminants, while polishing would just grind them down to be even with the paint.
      So yes, your friend is right. A clay bar would make a slight difference in the quality of the detail. It should still look great without the clay bar, but I use clay in every detail job I do.

The guy at Napa was probably telling you about cutting/polishing/finishing pads. A cutting pad is more aggressive, and is best used with a rubbing compound like the 3M you mentioned. A polishing pad is best used with a swirl-mark remover or light polish. A finishing pad is just used for very light polishes or waxes/sealants.

Sk8eroi you have a new PM.
      5spd Maxima SE - SOLD
      '99 Protege LX 5spd, silver

Comment

Working...
      X