suspension noises - narrowed down... need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension noises - narrowed down... need help

k, well for awhile, my front driver-side wheel has been making this annoying squeaking sound (kinda like wind whistling), and a clicking at low speeds sound.

also when decelerating i hear this kind of creaking sound coming from somewhere.
    (spring perches maybe, it sounds kind of high up...)

i searched for the answer using the wondrous and thought that it was a wheel bearing (squeaking) and cv joints (clicking).
    but, last night, i jacked up the car and tried moving the wheels. no give at all... so not the wheel bearing. then i checked the cv joints... they're just like new (according to my records from the previous owner, front axles were replaced a couple months before i purchased the car in jan '03)

so i think i've narrowed it down to brakes...
    i've had to lock them up a few times (once ending in disaster, other times, saving my ass cause of stupid drivers) in the last year, so that probably contributed to the problem... but after that, i'm lost, and can't find an answer on what needs fixing here.
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

well when the brake pads get worn they have a lil scraper that makes a whistling type noice check ur pads
    i is dumb

Comment

i also checked that when it was jacked up... quite a bit of life still left in them...

plus it's a constant noise... it's there all the time, gets louder with slight braking, then stops when i brake harder... (forgot to mention that, it's one of the things leading me to belive its a brake problem)
      justin
      installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Make sure your dust shields aren't hitting the rotor.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

your rotors are probably warped. Causing your brakes to move side-to-side on the 2 pins
          NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Originally posted by charles
            Make sure your dust shields aren't hitting the rotor.
            yes, i have had this problem also
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

warped rotors...ur caliper adjusters might be seized too..check into that.

creaking can be either strutmounts or a busted endlink. If its a horrendous metal on metal noise, its endlinks, if its just a creaking sound when you go over bumps, it's strut mounts.
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

about the creaking, definitely strut mounts then...
                i'm pretty sure it's only in the rear...
                is it a bad problem that could develop into something that hinders performance, or is it just annoying? (trying to weigh priorities)

about the brakes... been planning on getting new rotors for awhile, i'm pretty sure they're part of the problem...
                i'm going to check my dust shields tomorrow, what should i look for?
                or will it be obvious?

elaborate on these caliper adjusters you speak of
                justin

Comment

I think for the caliper adjuster, he means the adjuster on the rear calipers. There is an allen screw that lets you move the piston in and out. Mine was kind of jammed into place, and a little bit of force on the adjuster screw set it free. Hopefully it stays working, but I'm not sure.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

heh, last summer i replaced a rear caliper because that was seized up (piston would not decompress) and i forgot to adjust it when i put the new one in and it locked up when driving down a hill...
                    it was smoking by the time i pulled off the road...
                    took me a whole weekend to figure it out too...

i guess this weekend i'll take the wheels off and check out the dust shields and the adjusters...
                    justin

Comment

My rear upper mounts were bad for about a year, all it did was ruin my struts, which I was replacing anyways. It does contribute to squat and nosedive though.

Comment

Working...
                      X