Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modifying the GTX manifold to fit a T28 flange

Can it be done and done.
    I am faced with one of two choices ... Log manifold or get another GTX manifold and get a T28 flange fitted up to it.. I am leaning toward the GTX manifold. I have one and could use that to get my protege turbo project back up and running. I had to take a break from the turbo project, due to getting my own apartment and fixing it up. That is mostly complete though and I am back to working on the turbo stuff..

However. I just wanted to see what some of you guys think about this idea. To get another gtx manifold is never a problem.. I can always find another one for the turbo on the 323.

Your comments weather pos or neg are wanted...
    thanks
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

u could go to a performance shop/speed shop and get an adapter plate made for about $100.

Comment

i'm leaning toward using the miata manifolds on ebay and using a small garrett t3 on my protege in the near future. just need injectors, fuel pump, ic piping, ic, turbo, and turbo mani. not too sure what else i'm leaning towards, maybe a standalone engine management.
      oh back on topic, just cut that flange off w/ a plasma cutter and weld on a new flange. the gtx mani should be able to take the heat of cutting and welding, just need to find the right guy w/ the right tools.
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

YEAH MAN!!!!!! you need to step it up a notch and get it going, lol
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
          YEAH MAN!!!!!! you need to step it up a notch and get it going, lol
          **** I got my apartment going lol...

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Is It Nice????
            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!
            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

yeah it's nothing big ... Just a studio... But I love it..

now I can get back to my turbo stuff..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

we need to come by hang out, do you park on the street or in a space?
                00 dakota 4x4
                90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

i have done exactly what you're after bruce.....
                  i have mated my t3/04e to my gtx manifold using an adapter i got made by a friend.
                  you need to use a bolt on adapter cos you won't weld steel to iron with any longevity for this extreme heat application.
                  all i did was give him traced pictures of each side and he got the plates profile cut then welded them together with a short piece of thick exhaust pipe just long enough to get bolts in.
                  i had mine made to angle the turbo slightly away from the block cos of the size of the t04e compressor housing but ymmv....
                  the attached pic is a close up of it hooked up without gaskets just to give you an idea - it wasn't hard to do, just make sure that you have tools to smooth out the inside of the exhaust gas path when you're done.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Stefan; 07-18-2004, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Very nice.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

oh so that's YOUR motor?! I've been drooling over your setup for a while. there so many things I want to ask you lol. Where did you get a t3/t04e w/an int wastegate? welding an ext to cast itron just isn't good as you mentioned for the same reason as the flange. Now as for your distributorless ign, are you using the miata parts? What are you using to control it? Is the motor in a car running? Just curious. You've done a lot of things i have been wanting to do lol.
                      00 dakota 4x4
                      90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Originally posted by ne3ek
                        oh so that's YOUR motor?! I've been drooling over your setup for a while. there so many things I want to ask you lol. Where did you get a t3/t04e w/an int wastegate? welding an ext to cast itron just isn't good as you mentioned for the same reason as the flange. Now as for your distributorless ign, are you using the miata parts? What are you using to control it? Is the motor in a car running? Just curious. You've done a lot of things i have been wanting to do lol.
                        thanks for the compliment
                        the turbo came from a 20B cosmo and it was rebuilt and high flowed. t3 hot sides come with or without an internal wastegate, it just happens that mine has one.
                        it remains to be seen what amount of boost i get to run with an internal before i start spiking all over the place, i'm hoping it is a lot cos the wastegate has been ported nicely

every engineer i talked to about mating this turbo to the manifold laughed at me when i asked them to weld iron to steel. you just won't get it to last because of the heat involved both in the welding and everyday use.

the distributorless ignition is the miata (mx5) wasted spark setup. another little secret you might not have noticed is the throttle body is 75mm or ~3inch from a ford falcon .

it's not in my car yet, i still have a smokey old bp for now. its been harder than you'd imagine saving the money and buying bits for this damn car mostly due to my lack of self control and the fact that i earn next to nothing working at a squash complex. BUT i am almost done.
                        i have all the ancilliary parts i need - evo 5 intercooler, hks ssq bov, oil catch can, oil cooler, fuel pump (already installed), apexi avc-r, apexi boost, sard egt and oil temp and one kick-ass group a rally engine.

the toughest decision has been what computer to use. many people i talk to say microtech but i'm not convinced by the number of mapping points cos i don't want to run pig rich all the time and link is just down the road from my house but they are in the same boat so it all comes down to this - haltech e6x or autronic smc. i've basically decided on the haltech cos its cheaper and i want this swap done before christmas.
                        anything else you wanna know just ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan
                          i have done exactly what you're after bruce.....
                          i have mated my t3/04e to my gtx manifold using an adapter i got made by a friend.
                          you need to use a bolt on adapter cos you won't weld steel to iron with any longevity for this extreme heat application.
                          all i did was give him traced pictures of each side and he got the plates profile cut then welded them together with a short piece of thick exhaust pipe just long enough to get bolts in.
                          i had mine made to angle the turbo slightly away from the block cos of the size of the t04e compressor housing but ymmv....
                          the attached pic is a close up of it hooked up without gaskets just to give you an idea - it wasn't hard to do, just make sure that you have tools to smooth out the inside of the exhaust gas path when you're done.
                          Can your guys make another one? but for a T28. Where is he located. I am basically weighing my options right now, but damit I need a manifold.

I am so mad, I went to like 6 different websites and see manifolds for civics.. damn they have all diferent types of designs out for them.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ya stefan, w/the $ situation i'm w/you. I have no self control (waste money on GARBAGE lol) and I just don't make anything. I have an e6k but I need to get off my ass and learn how to install it/get it installed. I'm also thinking up another project that will probably cost me a lot of $ and a lot of downtime so my turbo upgrade won't be around for a while.

so the 20b cosmo comes w/a hybrid turbo? or does it come w/a t3 and you matted a t04e cold side? I dunno much about those cars as they aren't produce on this side of the globe lol.
                            00 dakota 4x4
                            90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

bruce, i don't have a flange pattern for a t28 (and i'm all the way over here in new zealand) but what i can do is take some detailed photographs of my adapter (in the morning) which you will be able to use to get one made. they are a pretty simple job for any engineer or fabricator.

ne3ek, afaik the cosmo came with twin sequential t3's which is where i got my hot side from (it has a bizarre bolt pattern. the t04 compressor side is a new addition. my engine was only making 300hp at 12psi using a t3 when it was rallying so i'm pulling out all the stops with the t04. google the 20b cosmo - it was a very special car, triple rotor, twin sequential turbos, huge potential and it was a luxury sedan with gps and everything!

Comment

Working...
                              X