Hi, New member here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, New member here

Hi, I just signed up since I'm getting married and my fiance has a protege and I'll soon be working on it. My current car is a '95 BMW M3 and I do all the work on it myself so I'm looking to get and give a lot of info on maintenance and performance mods in the future.

1st question I have is, my fiance's car is a '99 Protege with 35K miles. What maintenance / mods are must-haves. Also, I know in the BMW world, Bentley is the prefered maintenance manual. What is the maint. manual of choice with these cars.

Thanks in advance.
    Ryan Windley | Mechanical Design Engineer | E2M
    1995 ///M3 Coupe | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black

Originally posted by rwindleyme02
    Hi, I just signed up since I'm getting married and my fiance has a protege and I'll soon be working on it. My current car is a '95 BMW M3 and I do all the work on it myself so I'm looking to get and give a lot of info on maintenance and performance mods in the future.

1st question I have is, my fiance's car is a '99 Protege with 35K miles. What maintenance / mods are must-haves. Also, I know in the BMW world, Bentley is the prefered maintenance manual. What is the maint. manual of choice with these cars.

Thanks in advance.
    hey welcome to clubprotege. Not sure of the proper repair manual to use but if you going to be modding her protege any, check out the FAQ in my sig...Lot of good information about compatibility and such. What model is her protege because there are different mods available for both. If you ask me for the best performance upgrade for either though anyone here is going to tell you TURBO. There are a couple of proteges here right now that are turbo's so check them out. More importantly have fun and dont mind the couple of smartasses we have here, there just mad because they drive 1ST GENS, hahahaha.

edit: well maybe that faq insnt there anymore, but im sure someone can post edwins link for this guy.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Welcome aboard. My buddy just got a 95 M3 about a week ago. Very impressive car.

Comment

Thanks guys, I just started even paying attention to her car as of late b/c she just started working full time in ATL and not an hour away in Athens. I don't know right off what model she has but I believe it's the equivalent of a DX?? It's an auto as well, so I'm not looking for any huge gains, just some stuff to make it a little more fun to drive. How can I find out exactly what model it is? From the VIN?

Fug, that's exactly what I had assumed. From my experience, investing in anything but a turbo, HP-wise, in a 4 banger, is a waste. I'll be searching for that FAQ. (I do know how to search I'm a bimmerforums.com veteran)

Proto 2K, thanks, I love my M3. Pretty good for a 10-yr old car! Technology-wise it is showing its age but it sure is fun to drive. You've got to be good with a wrench though b/c maintenance is a bear since the $tealer will rip you a new one in labor. I love to autocross so maintenance is #1 for me.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Comment

you can talk to proto2k about the turbo, he had an 00 dx with the 1.6 liter and he was going to turbo it before an old latey took him out....the gains he was talking about were pretty impressive.. other than that he has a nice set of wheels(the gunmetal ones shown in his sig) for sale. the proteges have great suspension and thats what ive concentrated on. I have the Mazdaspeed suspension on my car and love the way it drives...other than that there are only minor boltons available, that im sure you know about. Corksport is working on some cams for the 1.6 but i havnt heard from those guys in a while...maybe its time to check in....anyways good luck and that m3 is looking good.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Welcome aboard man you will find lots of interesting things about her car on here and if your ever in doubt the FAQ is where to go, there are alot of knowledgable people on here!! Good Luck!!
              "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
                Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Right on right on

another 1.6 L we are taking over. the loss of greg was a harsh one but we will rise again.

Greg are your rims still for sale man as fuq says?

WElcome rwind you'll see lots of people around here willing to help, to learn from, and to teach to. also they will give you lots of opinions, wheter you want them or not. :D

~ice
                    Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                      Greg are your rims still for sale man as fuq says?
                      No they are not. I sold them locally for more than I could have gotten off the forums. Plus I didn't have to deal with the pain in the ass involved with shipping them. The money went to my turbo.

Comment

I just dont keep updated on my material anymore.....

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

welcome to club protege. your bimmer is a sweet car and auto-x is fun to say the least.

Comment

Welcome to the forums.
                            You WANT the Factory Service Manual.
                            I was quoted ~140$ CDN for one for my 97. Not sure but you could probably pick up one for your girl's for like 100$ or so.
                            Probably have to go to the dealer though. But they do show up on Ebay from time to time.
                            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

im new too. so hello everyone!

2003 ES - Shimmering Sand Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X